Grassroot Soccer South Africa
Join the extraordinary team at Grassroot Soccer South Africa in the role of
Location: Grassroot Soccer South Africa Headquarters, Johannesburg
Reporting to: Managing Director
Compensation range: Commensurate based on experience
About Grassroot Soccer
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is an international adolescent health organisation that leverages the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilise youth to overcome their greatest health challenges, live healthier, more productive lives, and be agents for change in their communities. GRS connects young people with the mentors, information, and health services they need to thrive, and empowers adolescents to make educated choices about pressing health challenges such as HIV, SRHR and gender-based violence. With proven results and a constant focus on research and innovation, GRS has evolved into one of the leading Sport for Development public health NGOs since founding in 2002. To date, over 1.7 million young people have graduated from GRS programmes in nearly 50 countries with adolescent-friendly health education. In South Africa, GRS manages community centres in three locations, Alexandra and Soweto in Gauteng Province and Khayelitsha in Western Cape Province, as well as headquarter offices in Johannesburg and Cape Town. GRS works in nine provinces in South Africa, directly and through partnerships, providing capacity building and technical support for local organisations. GRS South Africa is affiliated with Grassroot Soccer, Inc., a global non-profit organisation based in the United States, and employs 90 full-time staff, including three social workers, and approximately 300 Coaches who deliver evidence-based programming to youth. Since opening in South Africa in 2006, Grassroot Soccer has trained over 500 Coaches, graduated over 220,000 youth, tested over 35,000 at-risk youth for HIV, and distributed HIV prevention education materials to millions of South Africans through schools and mass media information campaigns.
To provide administrative support to the Managing Director in her professional capacity as well as provide office operational management support to the Johannesburg team including the sites in Soweto and Alexandra .
- Co-ordinate travel bookings for the Managing Director and the Johannesburg team in accordance with GRS SA’s finance policy.
- Manage the relationship with the travel agent.
- Ensure cost efficiency with respect to travel bookings.
Diary and Telephone Management
- Diary management:
- maintain and co-ordinate the diary of the Managing Director
- monitor all matters referred to the Managing Director and ensure finalization thereof;
- monitor target dates and ensure Managing Director is kept abreast of progress in order to meet all target dates timeously.
- Telephone management:
- receive and screen calls, take comprehensive messages and relay messages timeously to appropriate people;
- make calls on behalf of the Managing Director and the Johannesburg office in accordance with the brief received from the respective individuals.
Document Management and Filing
- Screen and deal with (action/reply/redirect) incoming and outgoing correspondence, faxes, enquiries and requests.
- Control incoming and outgoing mail.
- In consultation with the Managing Director and the Johannesburg team, disseminate information and/or documents on their behalf.
- Maintain accurate and up to date filing records for the Managing Director.
- Handle confidential and sensitive documentation appropriately and with integrity.
- Assist with the co-ordination, receipt, checking and submission of invoices to finance in order to facilitate timeous payment.
- Organise photocopying, printing, binding and deliveries by couriers.
- Undertake research on potential donors, obtain the relevant contact details, source strategic plans and notify the Managing Director of potential funding opportunities timeously.
- Arrange exploratory meetings with potential donors, as directed by the Managing Director.
- Establish and maintain relationships with potential donors.
- Provide administrative support with the preparation and collation of donor proposals, presentations and reports.
Human Resource (HR) Management
- Assist HR Practitioner with monitoring the leave management system.
- Take ownership and accountability for all deliverables and responsibilities assigned to the position of Operations Manager within the office of the Managing Director.
- In consultation with the Managing Director, identify own training and coaching requirements to achieve optimal performance.
- Contribute to the development of a committed team within the office of the Managing Director with individuals who work well together and provide each other with mutual support, assistance and cooperation.
- Provide guidance and support to the operations team.
- Ensure compliance with all HR policies and procedures.
- Plan and facilitate the team building events.
- Plan and facilitate internal functions, such as farewells, celebrations etc.
- Preparing agenda and Board pack
- Obtain and edit reports from the senior management team
- Obtain agenda items from the Managing Director and Chairman of the Board.
- Prepare a governance and legislative developments report
- Follow-up on those Board members who do not indicate whether they will be attending the meeting
- Attend the Board meeting, usually including a meeting with the Managing Director and/or Chairperson following the meeting.
- Take minutes at the meeting
Board Follow-up Items Email
- Support the Board members by sending follow-up emails on action points agreed on at the Board meetings.
- Collate feedback on action points.
- Prepare a feedback document to the Board on all action points.
- Send e-mails to Senior Management regarding any decisions affecting them.
- Compile draft minutes for circulation to the Managing Director and Chairman for review.
- Check all decisions with previous decisions and resolutions to ensure that there is no conflict.
- Check the legality of any decision taken.
- Compile final minutes after receiving comments from the Managing Director and Chairman.
- Provide the Managing Director with administrative support in relation to the preparation of board reports, the organisation of board meetings and all related correspondence on board matters.
- Provide the Managing Director with administrative support in relation to the preparation of global reports, global meetings and all related correspondence with regards to delivering on the 5-year Global strategy.
- Record and circulate minutes of the committee meetings timeously and assist with ensuring that follow-up actions arising from meetings are undertaken.
- Organise logistical (venue, catering, audio visual equipment, stationery, travel) and other requirements (distribution of agenda, minutes, reading material) for workshops and meetings related to Managing Director.
- In consultation with the Managing Director, draft correspondence on their behalf.
- Prepare and type correspondence, minutes, reports and other documents as required, ensuring deadlines are met and that minimum standards of quality and accuracy are adhered to.
- Manage and prioritise the completion of general administrative functions by date, importance and deadlines to be met.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations on behalf of the Managing Director.
- Assist the Managing Director with the preparation of speeches and media releases.
- Order and issue stationery for office.
- Prepare and submit leave records to HR for the Managing Director and the Johannesburg team.
- Receive visitors for the Managing Director when necessary.
- Provide administrative support to the operations team in Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Stakeholder Management and Communication
- Develop and maintain an accurate stakeholder contact database.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that a professional and efficient image of the office of the Managing Director is promoted at all times.
- Communicate with key contacts at AID agencies, funders, corporate sponsors, government and other relevant stakeholders in order to ensure the efficient and effective execution of all duties related to the function of the Managing Director.
- Liaise with Senior Managing team, the Global team and Board members in the absence of the Managing Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A 3-year diploma, degree or equivalent qualification in Administration/Secretarial Competence.
- Minimum of 3 years’ personal assistant/secretarial experience.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office - including word, excel, powerpoint and outlook.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills.
- Meticulous and able to pay attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to multi-task and prioritise.
- Good work ethic and positive “can-do” attitude.
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to use own initiative and take ownership of his/her tasks.
- Able to do research on internet.
- Discrete and able to deal with sensitive information in a confidential and professional manner.
- Good team player.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Broad understanding of the role of the Managing Director.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of GRS, and in particular the role the Managing Director.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent stakeholder relations skills.
- Good language proficiency and telephone etiquette.
- Ability to communicate well with stakeholders at a Senior Management and Board level.
- High level of reliability.
Send your letter of motivation, resumé and contact details for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject line: GRS SA - OPS Manager.
Applications close on Monday, 9 January 2017, 16:00 SAST.