Freedom House supports frontline activists in their efforts to defend fundamental rights, including to document abuses, advocate for justice, end impunity, and fortify the self-protection of human rights defenders. We also provide emergency assistance to human rights defenders who come under threat and work with activists to broaden public support for upholding human rights. Freedom House supports frontline activists in their efforts to defend fundamental rights, including to document abuses, advocate for justice, end impunity, and fortify the self-protection of human rights defenders. We also provide emergency assistance to human rights defenders who come under threat and work with activists to broaden public support for upholding human rights.
Freedom House is seeking a qualified designer to develop a user-friendly design and layout for study guides to be used as part of a community-level civic education process in South Africa.
Terms of Reference for Design Consultant
Freedom House is seeking a qualified designer to develop a user-friendly design and layout for study guides to be used as part of a community-level civic education process in South Africa. These terms of reference describe the scope of the project and its basic requirements.
Freedom House, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and as part of the Mitigating Xenophobic Violence (MXV) component of our regional Justice as a Right in Southern Africa (JARSA) programme, is working in collaboration with South African civil society organisations to sensitise members of 16 at-risk communities to their human rights as established in the South African Constitution, South African laws, and regional and international human rights conventions. This rights awareness work is collectively referred to as a civic education process, which will feature the use of eight, self-instructional study guides containing rights-based information.
Scope of Work:
The purpose of this consultancy is to develop a user-friendly design and layout for each of the eight civic education study guides. Each guide already exists in a text-only format, and the average length of each is approximately four pages using Times New Roman Font, 12-point font with normal spacing. Individuals or groups (i.e. teams of individuals, organisations, or companies) are welcome to apply.
The consultant(s) is expected to perform the following tasks in coordination and consultation with Freedom House:
- Develop, in collaboration with Freedom House, a draft and simplified design and layout for each of the eight civic education study guides and study group leader’s manual. These draft, simplified versions should only follow the layout instructions currently included in the text-only study guides, and ensure correct spacing of headings and text.
- Develop, in collaboration with Freedom House, a finalised user-friendly and print-ready design and layout for each of the eight civic education study guides and study group leader’s manual according to the following guidelines:
- Design the size, shape, and look and feel of each guide according to its educational purpose and grassroots-level audience;
- Ensure the material is visually appealing to users;
- Create a clean and clear path for users to visually follow the sequence of information on each page of the guides;
- Use a clear and consistent style and structure throughout of the guides;
- Use ‘serif’ font for regular text and ‘sans serif’ font for headings in the guides;
- Ensure sufficiently sized fonts for potential users who may have difficulty reading;
- Apply consistent capitalisation of headings and titles by using upper and lower case letters (i.e. do not use all upper case letters for headings and titles);
- Ensure correct emphasis of words and short phrases using italics or boldface type;
- Adjust line spacing between text to ensure ease of reading for users;
- Apply left justification throughout the material for headings and text;
- Use contrast and other visual devices to make main points stand out on each page;
- Format bulleted information correctly;
- Use colours that are visually appealing and that avoid politically-affiliated colour schemes;
- Ensure the use of tables, charts, and diagrams are uncluttered in relation to page layouts through all of the guides
- Incorporate any feedback on both sets of guides to be developed, including the first set consisting of draft, simplified versions and the second set consisting of final, user-friendly and print-ready versions;
- Develop and include on each page of the guides a common identifying mark or image noting each guide as part of a broader set of documents;
- Design suitably appropriate cover designs for each of the guides and the leader’s manual relevant to the content of each guide;
- Liaise with Freedom House as necessary for the successful completion of this scope of work;
- Provide additional support as needed and directed, which may not necessarily be included above but which may be necessary for the successful completion of this consultancy, by Freedom House.
- Draft, simplified versions of each of the eight civic education study guides and study group leader’s manual;
- Final, user-friendly and print-ready versions of each of the eight civic education study guides and study group leader’s manual.
The successful candidate should be based in South Africa and should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated design experience with written materials;
- Ability to interpret poorly defined or difficult to communicate design concepts and implement them into a document;
- Familiarity with civic education materials designed for grassroots-level audiences.
Deliverables and Timeline:
- Consultation meeting with Freedom House held by 9 January 2016;
- Draft, simplified versions of each of the eight civic education study guides and developed by 16 January 2016;
- Final, user-friendly versions of each of the eight civic educations study guides developed by 27 January 2016.
The consultant will be paid at a daily rate, negotiable within Freedom House accepted consultancy rates. All other costs required for the successful completion of the consultancy, such as material and travel expenses, are to be identified in consultation with and provided by Freedom House.
It is estimated that this consultancy will require a level of effort of no more than ten days.
Please submit an application consisting of the following to Ms. Mpangi Kwenge, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 19 December 2016. The application should include:
- Motivation letter detailing experience and suitability for this consultancy;
- Desired daily rate;
- Past examples of design and layout work.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applications will be evaluated on their responsiveness to the scope of work, relevant and demonstrated experience, and cost-effectiveness.