Gay and Lesbian Memory in Action Trust (GALA)
Established in 1997 to promote the human rights of LGBTI people and to record their lives, The Gay and Lesbian Memory in Action Trust (GALA) is an independent, non-profit, community archive committed to supporting, and promoting the human rights of LGBTI people and documenting their historical and contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
GALA seeks to appoint a Programme Manager, based at the GALA offices at University Corner, Johannesburg.
This is a three-year fixed contract position, renewable depending on funding and performance.
Start date: January 2017
- The Programme Manager has operational responsibility for the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of GALA’s board-approved programmes
- In consultation with the Director, define the scope of projects and create detailed work plans and budgets and prepare fundraising documents
- Manage the financial aspects of projects, including ensuring that they are within budget, and prepare reports for the Board and for funders
- In consultation with the Director, recruit, manage and supervise suitable staff, contractors and volunteers to implement project activities
- Oversee, monitor and report on the implementation of project activities
- Evaluate and report on lessons learned from each project
- Represent the interests of the organisation and its values and mission with stakeholders
- Must be a South African citizen or have the legal right to live and work in South Africa
- Must have a postgraduate degree in a field demonstrably relevant to GALA’s mandate
- A minimum of six years’ work experience, with significant project and people management experience
- Ability to plan and write fundraising proposals and donor reports
- Understanding of, and ability to advocate for archival activism, and articulate how these forms of activism can contribute to forwarding struggles for justice and accountability in South Africa
- A strong commitment to human rights, with a focus on LGBTI rights, is required
- Good interpersonal and people management ability
- Strong presentation and written skills, with an eye for detail
- Ability to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
A fuller description of the role of the Programme Manager is available on GALA’s website – www.gala.co.za.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum three pages), cover letter (maximum two pages), and up-to-date contact details of at least three professional references. Your cover letter should include a short indication of your motivation for applying for this position, and express your understanding of the role of community archives in advancing the rights of LGBTI people.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GALA is committed to diversity and transformation in the workplace and applies the principles of the Employment Equity Act, 1998, in its recruitment processes and employment practice. GALA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
The subject line of your email should include the following: GALA Programme Manager and your name.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.