Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA)
The Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA) is based on the belief that strategic litigation is an immensely strong tool for social change because it helps to reframe the understanding of entitlements before the law and it challenges the legal discourse on women’s rights and sexual rights. ISLA stands for the proposition that investment in local institutions and individuals is key to maximising the impact of strategic litigation.
ISLA seeks to appoint Three Legal Counsels, based in Nairobi, Tanzania and Dar es Salaam.
The Council will provide leadership in developing and implementing the local chapters of the Network in order to litigate the legal protection of women’s human rights in the country.
- Be a part of the founding team on establishing or strengthening the strategic litigation unit team and help to develop the litigation unit in the network partner’s organisation
- Demonstrate an ability to take a strategic and dynamic approach to the use of law as a tool for the promotion of human rights
- Research substantive issues of comparative and international human rights law and practice
- Draft clear and concise legal memoranda, briefs and opinions
- Provide legal representation on cases before domestic, regional and international human rights fora
- Build and strengthen alliances and coalitions to support cases with relevant social networks and groups
- A legal degree and admission to legal practice in the relevant country (Uganda, Tanzania or Kenya)
- Strong research and exceptional writing skills
- Keen analytical ability
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Substantial experience using constitutional, regional and international human rights law, with preference to candidates who have had such experience in litigation
- In-depth or sophisticated understanding of international and comparative human rights mechanisms, and institutions
- Knowledge and understanding of women’s human rights and feminist analysis
- Fundraising experience, including a demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with individual donors, is beneficial
- Fluency in English and one of the local languages: Tanzania- Kiswahili, Kenya – Kiswahili, and Uganda – Luganda and Swahili
To apply click through to http://www.the-isla.org/employment-opportunities/
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa, refer to www.the-isla.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SANGONeT