m2m is an Africa-based, global non-governmental organisation (NGO) that unlocks the potential of mothers and their families through scalable, high-impact interventions because a healthy generation starts with mothers. Spanning the time, a pregnant woman learns of her HIV infection (about four months of pregnancy) through her family’s lifecycle (infants, children, adolescents, and her partner), m2m’s Mentor Mother Model empowers mothers living with HIV, through education and employment, as role models to help other women and her family access essential services and medical care. Working alongside doctors and nurses in understaffed health centres as members of the healthcare team, Mentor Mothers provide essential health education and psychosocial support for the prevention of maternal-to-child transmission. Mentor Mothers are trained and paid, which benefits not only their respective families but also the community as a whole and reduces stigma associated with HIV. Since its founding, m2m has reached nearly 1.5 million mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The Project Manager leads the m2m Mentor Mother project. He/she is responsible for overall project management, including project planning, execution and monitoring of mothers2mothers direct service delivery Mentor Mother project sites (facility and community sites) in South Africa. The Project Manager ensures the quality of Mentor Mother education and psychosocial support services across all project sites. The position will be based in the m2m SA Country Office in Pretoria; reporting to the Country Director– South Africa
Key areas of responsibility:
Programme management & oversight
- Lead development and implementation of Mentor Mother Project Unit Annual Work plan
- Oversee direct service delivery of quality Mentor Mother services in m2m programme sites (facility and community)
- Develop and manage Mentor Mother Project Monitoring Framework in conjunction with Senior M&E Coordinator and Strategic M&E Manager
- Lead MMP team including Management of District Managers responsible for m2m sites
- Provide model sites support to m2m SA’s Capacity Building Programme as appropriate
- Compile periodic internal and donor programme analytical progress report.
Quality improvement and model development
- Develop and lead implementation of ongoing evidence-informed quality improvement plans
- Identify strategic opportunities, Mentor Mother programme development needs and inform ongoing model enhancement
- Oversee design and integration of ongoing model innovations and support dissemination to South Africa Mentor Mother Project.
Financial management and oversight of unit support systems
- Compile relevant annual budgets for Mentor Mother Project
- Oversee and monitor MM project expenditure with support from Country Finance Manager and in compliance with the organization’s as well as relevant donor financial policies and procedures.
Representation, networking & strategic relationship management
- Strategic representation of m2m in key technical working groups, steering committees and partner forums
- Maintaining sound strategic relationships with the PMTCT/MNCH and HAST focal persons within the South African Government Department of Health
- Act as country level focal person for select funding awards for MMP.
Staff management and capacity building
- Liaise closely with Human Resources Manager to ensure sound implementation of HR processes from site level, staff development and support for District Managers and site/community staff
- Performance management and mentoring of District Managers
- Lead communication and facilitate shared learning across programme.
Qualifications and competencies required
- Minimum Postgraduate qualification in Public Health or related field with up to 10 years’ experience and solid track record in management
- Sound knowledge of PMTCT/HIV AIDS including broader maternal and child health
- Understanding of relevant government policy and public health landscape in South Africa
- Excellent project management skills and demonstrated experience in designing and managing large projects
- Strong design and conceptualization skills and able to think creatively and systematically at all project levels
- Demonstrated ability to design and lead execution of efficient support systems including creating program and operational support tools.
- Applied knowledge of financial management and human resource management
- Sound understanding of M&E tools and systems
- Solid Experience in programme development and quality assurance.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and maintaining strategic relationships and multiple levels including Government, donors and implementing partners
- Strong Computer Literacy (Microsoft packages)
- Passion for m2m’s Vision and Mission
- Action and results-oriented with the ability to lead decisively and motivate staff to perform optimally
- Exceptional leader with excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Flexible with ability to work under pressure
- Fluency in English essential; fluency in local language is an advantage;
- Valid and unendorsed driver’s license.
NB: To apply please visit our website on https://www.m2m.org/careers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted – should you not hear from us by 31 October, 2016, you may consider your application unsuccessful.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.