The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI), a program of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (CTFK), provides strategic advocacy assistance on global public health issues in the area of obesity prevention, among others. The objective is to stimulate policy change that will reduce obesity levels in specified low-and middle-income countries by supporting and assisting in-country partners advocating for the passage and implementation of four key policies and through raising public awareness.
Based in Johannesburg, The Global Health Advocacy Incubator seeks to fill the following vacancy:
who will have direct oversight of the project on-the-ground in South Africa and will support in-country partners to carry out a coordinated advocacy campaign that ultimately leads to policy change. The Coordinator will report directly to the Associate Director Obesity Prevention Programs at the GHAI in Washington, DC and will work closely with the GHAI obesity prevention team and partners on the ground.
The ideal advocacy coordinator will have had experience in advocacy campaigns for policy change in South Africa and have a good sense of the politics, players, and strategies that impact policy development and passage. S/he will have knowledge of the policy-making process in South Africa, proven ability to develop and work in partnership with multiple stakeholders and experience in dealing with senior government officers and political leadership. Knowledge of/background in public health and, specifically, obesity prevention is desirable.
The Advocacy Coordinator must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in public health or public policy; law degree or other related degree with focus on health highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience coordinating and managing projects, including advocacy or policy change; proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with government stakeholders, NGO partners, and international organizations at various levels
- Demonstrated success in planning and conducting advocacy activities (direct contact, media and public activations) ideally on health-related policies, including planning and conducting advocacy campaigns to achieve policy outcomes.
- Ability to strategize with and coordinate multiple organizations working toward a policy goal
- Strong understanding of government policy-making processes
- Interest in public health, commitment to public interest work, and experience on obesity prevention/food policy issues a plus
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) complex issues in a concise, compelling, and easily understandable manner
This position is a 12 months assignment with possible renewal.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 30th September 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org