Founded in 1992, Africa Foundation (AF) is an independent, non-profit, tax-exempt organisation in South Africa whose purpose is to uplift, up-skill and empower identified rural communities near core conservation areas. In this mutually beneficial relationship, it is critical that communities recognise the relevance of these conservation areas and in so doing, contribute to both their long-term sustainability. The purpose and mission of Africa Foundation is to facilitate the empowerment and development of people living in or identified to, protected areas in Africa, by forging unique partnerships between conservation initiatives and local communities.
Africa Foundation seeks to appoint an Operations Manager, based in Johannesburg.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for the oversight and coordination of projects and programmes within AF’s focus areas of Education, Health Care & Clean Water, Small Business Development and Environment & Conservation, within South Africa, Southern Africa and East Africa regions, and to streamline cohesion between Operational and Central Office Teams.
The Operations Manager will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will work closely with the AF Operations and Central Office Teams.
- Ensure effective implementation of projects/programmes in all regions, from project scoping to impact evaluation; ensure timeous delivery and closure thereof
- Ensure strategic objectives of projects/programme are accomplished and donor grant/MoU agreements are accurately adhered to throughout project implementation
- Responsible for regional budgets: oversee all stages of budgeting from development, forecasting, tracking and spending
- Ensure all project related administration is completed timeously as per set and ongoing deadlines
- Ensure timeous and accurate operational reporting for organisational and donor requirements
- Leadership of the Operations Team, ensuring training, mentoring and resourcing occurs with a focus on strengthening capacity to effectively achieve operational targets
- Oversee the induction of new staff, monitor employee performance and conduct Performance Appraisals
- Host regular Operational and Management meetings, ensuring operations meet action items and take ownership and responsibility for regional activities
- Improve operational systems, processes and policies in support of AF’s mission and ensure consistent delivery of a high standard
- Further develop projects and programmes as required, such as Conservation Lessons and Small Business Development
- Inform Business Development of any potential funding or resource opportunities arising in the field; assist in the development of proposals and grants
- Actively participate in ongoing organisational development; implementation of strategic objectives and development plans as required
- Participate in AF meetings as required, such as Board, ExCo and FinCo
- Address general AF queries, particularly with an Operational focus
- Ensure engagement and communication with regional andBeyond Lodges, Staff and Champions to consult on relevant issues, such as AF awareness amongst guests, local fundraising and Community trips
- Engage with AF methodology, monitor and evaluation manager to ensure all stakeholder engagement is aligned and in line with strategy
- Engage with local partners and entities to broaden network of partners and collaborative opportunities with like-minded NGO’s and stakeholders
- Strengthen relationships with government municipalities, departments and agencies to gain collateral support and resources and to facilitate outreach activities
- Additional responsibilities may be required at times and will be discussed with you by your Manager
- Strong MS Office knowledge
- Proven Project and Business Management experience
- Proven Administration, Financial and Management experience
- Knowledge and understanding of both NGO and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Operations Management or similar; MBA beneficial
- Proactive and resilient individual with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- People and strong leadership skills; experience working with a variety of people in diverse environments
- Highly organised, detail orientated multitasker with strong organisational and administrative skills
- Strong communication skills and command of spoken and written English; strong understanding of African languages applicable to AF’s areas of operation would be beneficial
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Minimum seven years’ experience in Rural Community Development or similar environment
- Minimum five years of Managerial/Leadership experience
To apply, submit applications to Juliet Price Juliet@africafoundation.org.za
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Office based work with frequent travel to regions (Driver’s License; own vehicle essential).
Occasional overtime and out of office hours required.
Flexibility of working hours.
Salary range: R460k to R500k annually, total cost to company, dependent on experience.
Should you not hear from AF within three weeks of closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
AF reserves the right to not make an appointment.
For more about Africa Foundation, refer to www.africafoundation.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit www.goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.