Jo'burg Child Welfare
Jo’burg Child Welfare provides care services, adoption and fostering, abuse treatment and prevention, rights advocacy and learning to children and their families across Johannesburg. The JCW centres are:
- Princess Alice Adoption Home (round the clock care for abandoned babies)
- Othandweni Family Care Centre (full time care for children aged 0-18)
- Thembalethu (Life Skills and economic empowerment for young women)
- Elton John Masibambisane Centre (for orphaned and vulnerable children and their families)
Jo’burg Child Welfare seeks to appoint a Communications officer, based in Johannesburg.
- To plan and execute a comprehensive media strategy for the organisation to ensure its image is enhanced.
- To execute fundraising activities to meet budget expectation for the PR& Marketing budget line item through online fundraising, media and other related activities.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Fundraising Manager, an annual business plan in accordance with the responsibilities of the position. This business plan should be drawn up in January for implementation in the new financial year
- Develop strategic communications products, including packages for the website (articles, videos and pictures), internal and external newsletters, brochures and other communication materials necessary to advance JCW programme
- Provide constructive and timely advice on the inclusion of communications in the design of programme activities
- Coordinate all JCW’s publication activities, in consultation with the Fundraising/PR Manager, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination
- Work in collaboration with the Fundraising & PR Manager to set targets, monitor and evaluate public relations and communication efforts in meeting the objective of the organization
- Participate in strategic planning for the department
- To prepare Press Releases (and press kits, where appropriate) and liaise with the media regarding publicity for specific promotions/donations in conjunction with the other staff members in the Fundraising Department and for approval by the Fundraising Manager
- Write, edit, and manage articles, speeches, features, and other materials about the JCW’s work
- Develop a portfolio of “human interest” stories and case studies to demonstrate the impact of JCW programmes on people’s lives to target audiences and key stakeholders in South Africa and abroad
- In conjunction with the Fundraising / PR Manager, coordinate the activities of outsourced/ volunteer public relations individuals/ companies that engage in communication strategy activities to support the work of JCW
- In conjunction with the Fundraising/ PR Manager to liaise with advertising agencies or production houses regarding the preparation of appropriate material to publicise and promote certain events
- Increase coverage and understanding of JCW’s work in Johannesburg/ South Africa through the development of strong relationships and maintenance of media contacts (in and outside South Africa), including ensuring Head Office spokespersons meet regularly with or offer regular comments to journalists
- Coordinate media coverage around key JCW events, including organising press conferences and interviews, writing press releases and handling media queries
- Manage Patrons, Ambassadors and other VIPs to engage in visits and fundraising activities in behalf of JCW
- Organise field visits for media to centers and projects in order to highlight relevant issues and the build interest of visitors in supporting JCW projects financially and otherwise
- Scrutinise newspapers, other publications and TV for possible fundraising opportunities with schools, service clubs etc
- Website Development and Maintenance
- Ensure that the website is maintained on a weekly basis, in collaboration with Fund Developer: In-kind
- On a quarterly basis ensure that all service departments have updated the information relating to their services
- Publish an electronic newsletter on the website on a quarterly basis
- Newsletters (Internal and External)
- To draw up an annual newsletter schedule for the production of a quarterly newsletter for circulation to donors with input from service departments
- Source pictures and edit copy and obtain approval for the newsletter from the Fundraising Manager
- Liaise with printing sponsor for the publication to be printed timeously
- Obtain quotes for layout (where appropriate) and printing
- Arrange for circulation
- Annual Report
- Develop Annual Report production schedule and distribute to all JCW units/ centers
- Compile and edit initial copy for layout
- Source pictures from centers and other JCW activities for use in the Annual Report. Ensure consent for use of children’s pictures is received before publishing
- Oversee the design process and approval of materials, in consultation with the Fundraising & PR Manager
- Liaise with layout designer, printers and paper suppliers for the production & printing of Annual Report.
- Ensure stock control & distribution of Annual Report to various JCW stakeholders
Education and general knowledge
- A post-matric qualification in public relations or communications
- Computer literacy in MS Office, Database and Website software
- Experience in fundraising for a medium to large organisation.
- Driver’s license and own transport
Interpersonal and personal competencies
- Communication skills including superior writing skills and the ability to speak in public
- Planning, admin, organisational and time management skills
- A willingness to work flexi-time, since the nature of the work requires evening and week-end commitments
- Ability to independently co-ordinate events/promotions
- A self-starter and team player
- Ability to show initiative and to be creative and tenacious
- People and networking skills
- Financial knowledge – budget compilation for proposals and promotions
- Professionalism and punctuality
To apply, submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Jo'burg Child Welfare, refer to www.jhbchildwelfare.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SANGONeT