Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS)
The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) is a Pan-African think tank that seeks to address the short, medium, and long-term development challenges in Africa in a holistic and comprehensive manner. MINDS’ mission is to provide a forum for dialogue, information dissemination and networking, underpinned by rigorous research in order to inform and influence policy and practice on governance, economic development and the evolution of African institutions.
MINDS seeks to appoint a Finance and Administration Manager based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The successful candidate will manage and optimise finance, administrative and human resource systems and processes within MINDS, in line with its policies, procedures and legal requirements.
- Monitor and report on MINDS’ financial activities by preparing and analyzing all financial reports (internal and external) and any financial information required by management and donors
- Liaise with external auditors and other stakeholders as required
- Review and monitor budgets as well as oversee and coordinate the annual budgeting process
- Manage receipt and disbursement of funds in line with MINDS’ policies in order to ensure cost control and maximize the efficiency of operations
- Ensure financial, taxation, payroll and any other reporting to government departments is done timeously and accurately
- Supervise management of petty cash
- Prepare and present detailed and realistic financial and organisational development plans
- Manage administration function of the organisation in line with MINDS’ processes, policies and legal requirements
- Oversee recruitment and personnel management processes in collaboration with each department including the selection, orientation, training and appraisal of staff members
- Manage and process employee compensation
- Manage and maintain employee records
- Monitor and keep up to date with employment legislation and regulations; advise senior management on pay and conditions, retention rates and policies affecting employee relations
- Advice line managers on performance and disciplinary issues
- Review Policies and Procedures Manual annually, provide training to staff each time the Policies and Procedures are reviewed/amended and support the Executive Director with the enforcement thereof
- Support programme staff to ensure that programme activities are conducted in compliance with policies, laws and regulations, and to ensure that internal and external deadlines are strictly adhered to
- Strong commitment to furthering MINDS’ goals as well as the organizational development of MINDS
- Minimum or equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree qualification in Accounting and/ or Financial Management
- At least seven years’ experience in financial management as well as strategic financial and human resource planning
- Strong knowledge of South African statutory rules, laws and requirements related to both financial management and reporting, and human resources/ labour issues
- Strong knowledge of Pastel and Microsoft Office packages
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, inspire team spirit and resolve conflicts
- Ability to support and guide staff, work with sensitive information, work with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with stressful situations and meet deadlines
- Proactive and results orientation
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter with remuneration expectations in South African Rands to firstname.lastname@example.org stating ‘MINDS PM-EG’ in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and MINDS reserves the right not to explain the outcome of the selection process to applicants and/ or shortlisted candidates.
MINDS reserves the right not to appoint anyone for this position.
For more information on the Mandela Institute for Development Studies, refer to www.minds-africa.org
For more about The Mandela Institute for Development Studies, refer to www.minds-africa.org/index.html
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.