Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) - South Africa
Vacancy Project Facilitator VVOB South Africa
To be based in the VVOB office in Pretoria or Bloemfontein
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a non-profit organization which contributes to the improvement of the quality of education in 10 different countries around the world.
In its current programme (2014-2016) VVOB seeks to enhance learning outcomes of male and female learners in numeracy, by means of strengthening skills of primary education teachers and school managers. VVOB is collaborating with the Department of Basic Education, SACE, the Free State Department of Education and the district of Lejweleputswa.
The upcoming programme (2017 – 2021) will address school leadership and teaching for inclusive education, to improve the quality of teaching and learning for all children particular those experiencing barriers to learning. Partners will be DBE, SACE, and the provincial departments of education of Free State and selected other provinces. VVOB anticipates expanding this programme with a project with cofunding from the European Union (EU) starting middle this year.
VVOB is looking for a Project Facilitator (Inclusive Education) for the anticipated project, to join the team in Pretoria or Bloemfontein.
The Project Facilitator is an experienced individual with sound project management, technical assistance and capacity development background with affinity for inclusive education. S/he is responsible for the timely implementation of the provincial and district related activities under the project and related activities under the VVOB programme. S/he will support the Project Coordinator in planning, monitoring and evaluation, and for the budget management, procurement, administration and logistics of the provincial and district related activities. S/he will be liaison for the stakeholders at provincial and district level. S/he reports to the Programme Manager.
- Timely implementation of the project, including supporting the preparation of project and programme reports and documents as per donor’s requirement.
- To support the Project Coordinator and project / programme team with planning, monitoring and evaluation for the project / VVOB programme (in close consultation with the PM&E focal point, Programme Manager (PM) and team members);
- To hold delegated responsibility on budget management, procurement, administration and logistics, for provincial and district related activities of project and programme in consultation with the Project Coordinator (and PM, Deputy PM and Accounting);
- To develop, implement and follow up the financial, technical and institutional capacity development (CD) strategies and CD methods for provincial and district related activities in consultation with Project Coordinator (and PM, team and partners);
- To build and maintain sustainable partnerships with partners and relevant stakeholders
- To ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- Contributing to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and sharing pro-actively lessons learned between partners and colleagues
- Guaranteeing the coherence with VVOB’s approaches to sustainable capacity development and technical assistance
- Keeping abreast with developments in inclusive education and international development.
- South African national, based in either Pretoria or Bloemfontein or willing to relocate to these areas (at own cost);
- An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) preferably in management, education, social sciences or other relevant field. Background in Inclusive Education is a definite advantage.
- Demonstrated working experience in a similar position preferably within (international) development cooperation (5 years or more preferable)
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Strong communication and drafting skills, with the ability to convey varied and complex information to a range of audiences.
- Preferably experience with change management and capacity development of government agencies and / or public sector staff, preferably in the education sector including experience identifying (organisational) capacity development needs, developing capacity development plans and supporting capacity development.
- Preferably knowledgeable about gender issues (in education)
- Creative mind, able to translate strategies and ideas into action
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter, willing to work additional hours when required and regularly travel
- Good reporting skills, ICT proficient (Word, Excel and Power Point), fluent written and oral command of English.
Result oriented, cooperation, continuous learning and improving, 360° empathy, strong communication skills (listening, speaking and writing), creativity, reliability, development oriented coaching, analytical thinking and conceptual thinking
VVOB expects the person to start on 01 July 2016 and initially offers a one-year contract which may be extended.
The Project Facilitator is supervised by the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
How to apply
Send your CV (including telephone number and email address of 3 references) and motivation letter by email to Lindiwe Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org) cc Wilfried Theunis (Wilfried.email@example.com) by 11 May 2016. In your motivation letter clearly indicate how/why you fit the profile of this advertisement.
Please note, applications with no motivation letter attached cannot be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.