Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) - South Africa
Vacancy Project Coordinator VVOB South Africa
To be based in the VVOB office in Pretoria or Bloemfontein
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a non-profit organization which contributes to the improvement of the quality of education in 10 different countries around the world.
In its current programme (2014-2016) VVOB seeks to enhance learning outcomes of male and female learners in numeracy, by means of strengthening skills of primary education teachers and school managers. VVOB is collaborating with the Department of Basic Education, SACE, the Free State Department of Education and the district of Lejweleputswa.
The upcoming programme (2017 – 2021) will address school leadership and teaching for inclusive education, to improve the quality of teaching and learning for all children particular those experiencing barriers to learning. Partners will be DBE, SACE, and the provincial departments of education of Free State and selected other provinces. VVOB anticipates expanding this programme with a project with cofunding from the European Union (EU) starting middle this year.
VVOB is looking for a Project Coordinator (Inclusive Education) for the anticipated project, to join the team in Pretoria or Bloemfontein.
The Project Coordinator is an experienced individual with sound project management, technical assistance and capacity development background with affinity for inclusive education. S/he is responsible for the coordination, overall planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the project. S/he is also responsible for budget management, procurement, administration and logistics of all activities. S/he will manage the human, financial and other resources available to the project. S/he reports to the Programme Manager.
- To coordinate and assist in the timely implementation of the project, including preparation of project reports and documents as per donor’s requirements.
- To hold delegated responsibility on planning, monitoring and evaluation (PM&E) for the project within the VVOB programme (in close consultation with the PM&E focal person, Programme Manager (PM) and other team members);
- To hold delegated responsibility on budget management, procurement, administration and logistics for the project (in close cooperation with PM, Deputy PM and Accounting);
- To develop, implement and follow up financial, technical and institutional capacity development strategies and methods (in close collaboration with PM, team and partners);
- To build and maintain sustainable partnerships with partners and relevant stakeholders
- To ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- To take up the role of capacity development focal person for the project
- To contribute to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and pro-actively sharing lessons learned between partners and VVOB team
- To guarantee the coherence with VVOB’s approaches to sustainable capacity development and technical assistance
- To keep abreast of developments in inclusive education and international development.
- South African citizen, based in either Pretoria or Bloemfontein or willing to relocate (at own cost)
- An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) preferably in management, education, social sciences or other relevant field. Background in Inclusive
Education is a definite advantage
- Demonstrated working experience in a similar position
- Demonstrated experience of project management or coordination preferably within (international) development cooperation (5 years or more preferable)
- Preferably experience with change management, capacity development of government agencies and / or public sector staff, preferably in the education sector
- Preferably knowledgeable about gender issues (in education)
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Creative mind, able to synthesise and analyse and to translate strategies/ideas into action
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, willing to work additional hours when required and travel for short periods
- Good reporting skills, ICT proficient (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), fluent written and oral command of English.
Result oriented, cooperation, continuous learning and improving, 360° empathy, strong communication skills (listening, speaking and writing), creativity, reliability, development oriented coaching, analytical thinking and conceptual thinking
VVOB expects the person to start on 01 July 2016 and initially offers a one-year contract which may be extended.
The Project Coordinator is supervised by the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
How to apply
Send your CV (including telephone number and email address of 3 references) and motivation letter by email to Lindiwe Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org) cc Wilfried Theunis (Wilfried.email@example.com) by 11 May 2016. In your motivation letter clearly indicate how/why you fit the profile of this advertisement. Please note, applications with no motivation letter attached cannot be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.