Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) - South Africa
Vacancy Financial Administrator VVOB South Africa
To be based in the VVOB office in Pretoria
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a non-profit organization which contributes to the improvement of the quality of education in 10 different countries around the world.
In its current programme (2014-2016) VVOB seeks to enhance learning outcomes of male and female learners in numeracy, by means of strengthening skills of primary education teachers and school managers. VVOB is collaborating with the Department of Basic Education, SACE, the Free State Department of Education and the district of Lejweleputswa.
The upcoming programme (2017 – 2021) will address school leadership and teaching for inclusive education, to improve the quality of teaching and learning for all children particular those experiencing barriers to learning. Partners will be DBE, SACE, and the provincial departments of education of Free State and selected other provinces. VVOB anticipates expanding this programme with a project with cofunding from the European Union (EU) starting middle this year.
VVOB is looking for a Financial Administrator for the anticipated project, to join the team in Pretoria.
The Financial Administrator is responsible for providing financial and administrative services in order to ensure effective, efficient and accurate financial and administrative operations and Inform and give guidance, including training if required, to staff and relevant partners about accounting requirements. S/he reports directly to the Programme Manager. Other collaboration lines are Deputy Programme Manager and Technical Advisors.
- Ensure proper and timely use and update of the bookkeeping system according to the latest financial guidelines
- Ensure timely collection of good quality accounting documentation according to the latest financial guidelines
- Provide pro-actively information and support to the programme team and relevant partners in accounting issues to improve the accounting system
- Provide administrative support in order to ensure effective and efficient office operations
- Perform other related duties as required
- South African national
- National Diploma or Bachelor Degree in accounting or business management
- Ability to analyse budgetary line items for compliance with budget guidelines
- At least three years of relevant work experience in accounting, more specific in double bookkeeping
- Knowledge of payroll functions and procedures is an advantage
- Experience in development sector or non-profit sector is an advantage
- Good written and oral command of English
Result oriented, cooperation, continuous learning and improving, 360° empathy, strong communication skills (listening, speaking and writing), creativity, reliability, development oriented coaching, analytical thinking and conceptual thinking
VVOB expects the person to start on 01 July 2016 and initially offers a one-year contract which may be extended.
The Financial Administrator is supervised by the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
How to apply
Send your CV (including telephone number and email address of 3 references) and motivation letter by email to Lindiwe Cook (email@example.com) cc Wilfried Theunis (Wilfried.firstname.lastname@example.org) by 8 May 2016. In your motivation letter clearly indicate how/why you fit the profile of this advertisement.
Please note, applications with no motivation letter attached cannot be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.