Legal Resources Centre
The Legal Resources Centre is an independent, client-based, nonprofit public interest law clinic, which uses law as an instrument of justice. It works for the development of a fully democratic society based on the principle of substantive equality, by providing free legal services for the vulnerable and marginalised, including the poor, homeless, and landless people and communities of South Africa who suffer discrimination by reason of race, class, gender, disability or by reason of social, economic and historical circumstances.
The LRC seeks to appoint a Director in the Constitutional Litigation Unit, based in Johannesburg.
Fixed term contract position for up to three years.
The CLU is a unit of the LRC that provides leadership in the strategic direction of the organisation and employs in-house counsel (advocates) who appear in the LRC’s matters.
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualification and experience
- Provide strategic leadership to the CLU
- Manage staff and operations of the CLU
- Play a leadership role in the overall strategic direction of the LRC’s litigation and other work
- Run litigation and appear for the LRC in all of South Africa’s courts
- An appropriate tertiary legal qualification
- Preference given to candidates with further postgraduate qualifications in law
- Admitted as a practicing advocate, alternatively an attorney
- At least five years’ experience in practice
- Knowledge of constitutional law and public interest litigation
- Proactive and dynamic attitude, with enthusiasm for the LRC’s mission and vision
- Strong leadership and management skills, including the ability to train emerging lawyers
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Understanding of SA’s socio-political environment and how it impacts on social justice
To apply, submit a motivational letter, CV with copies of qualifications and two contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
The LRC is committed to transformation; applications from previously disadvantaged candidates are therefore strongly encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more details about the Legal Resources Centre, please visit www.lrc.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.