Social Justice Coalition
Social Justice Coalition: Social Audit Network Coordinator
The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a grassroots social movement campaigning for safe, healthy and dignified communities, driven by our vision of advancing the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
The SJC seeks to appoint a full time Coordinator for the Social Audit Network (SAN). The SAN is a network of organisations that support the use and development of social audits. The SAN is hosted at the SJC and is aimed at building substantive social audit practice across South Africa.
A social audit is a community-led process of reviewing official documents to determine whether the public expenditure and service delivery outcomes reported by the government really reflect the public money spent and the services received by the community. Social audits build community power and provide a mechanism for people who have been excluded and discriminated against to achieve a measure of justice and to hold government to account.
The Coordinator will be responsible for the overall coordination of the SAN, under the guidance of the SJC’s Local Government Programme Head. This is a full-time position based at the SJC’s office in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
- Provide overall coordination for development of the SAN’s work and its membership. This includes overall operations, governance, and capacity of the network
- Facilitate the building of the strategic direction of the SAN and the development of joint strategies with network members
Education and training
- Coordinate the expansion of the SAN’s education and training programmes, including the provision of training opportunities, as well as the development and dissemination of training materials
- Coordinate the support and training for social audits undertaken by network members where applicable
Research, media, and advocacy
- Coordinate and prepare research and evidence for the SAN where required
- Develop and implement the SAN’s media strategy, including maintaining and expanding the SAN’s multimedia content, website, and social media reach;
- Engage relevant government stakeholders to facilitate good practice and an improved environment for social audits
Organisational growth and development of the SAN
- Identify and develop working relationships with key organisations and partners inside and outside the network
- Leverage capacity within SAN network members to undertake specific tasks as required by SAN
- A commitment to social justice
- High level of organisation and systems management;
- Ability to network, develop, and manage relationships across communities and organisations
- Experience working in community organisations and/or social movements
- Good command of isiXhosa and/or isiZulu and English.
- Proficiency with computers and online research;
- Excellent community organising and facilitation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Tertiary degree in related field; post-graduate degree advantageous
- Excellent writing, research, communications, and analytical capacity;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
To apply submit a CV and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
hand deliver at Z95 Maxama Street, Site B, Khayelitsha to Thembakazi Gxanese by Moday,11 April 2016.