Valued Citizens Initiative
Valued Citizens Initiative is a non-governmental organisation founded in 2001 to answer the request of the Gauteng Department of Education to develop citizenship education in public schools. Driven by our constitutional values, Valued Citizens Initiative develops the character of citizens through life skills programmes for people to become responsible Valued Citizens determined to lead their lives engaging with our democracy and contributing towards South African economy. Focused on self-development, citizenship education and leadership principles in public schools from Grade 4 to Grade 12, Valued Citizens Initiative offers a holistic approach to school communities working with learners and School Management Teams, educators, parents, and social workers as the pillars of our society. One school community at a time, the organisation delivers on the outcomes with a sustainable impact as our life skills programmes change behaviour and attitude.
Valued Citizens Initiative seeks to appoint a Social Worker, based in Johannesburg.
- Conduct training for social workers, auxiliary social-workers and Victim Empowerment Counselors of our iSIQALO Programme accredited with 40 CPD points;
- Conduct training for parents in communities and schools on our iCHOOSE to Be a Responsible Parent programme;
- Guide our target groups to master a specific skill and knowledge and develop a positive attitude to support positive change, using the most suitable methods ensuring behaviour change;
- Prepare workshops and delivering materials for our target groups;
- Take on a leadership role in respect of the subject and guide our beneficiaries to gain mastery;
- Plan your work with the programmes coordinator who is in charge;
- Mark assessment, assess, evaluate and report on beneficiaries’ progress and on their achievements;
- Recognise that learning is an active process and be prepared to use a variety of creative methodologies to meet the outcome of the Valued Citizens Programmes (role-play, story-telling, experiential learning, debates, open discussion, use of newspapers);
- Establish a workshop environment which stimulates positive learning (understand the context and culture of the beneficiaries) and actively engages the target groups;
- Maintain accurate records of attendance registers to be sent on weekly basis and write reports when requested;
- Participate in training, supervision and multi-disciplinary team meetings when required;
- Communicate on monthly basis with the Coordinator and Managing Director about needs, concerns, ideas regarding the Valued Citizens Programmes; and
- Assist Valued Citizens Initiative with the accreditation of its programmes.
- A master’s degree in social work (MA Social Science in Social Work).
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the field;
- Registration with the SACSSP;
- Must have own transport or at least a driving licence;
- Knowledge of the Children’s Act and the Child Justice Act;
- Knowledge of English and another South African Official language;
- Experience in Facilitating Training workshops;
- Understanding of Restorative Justice processes;
- Communication and interpersonal skills;
- Report writing skills.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Valued Citizens Initiative, refer to www.valuedcitizens.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ngopulse.