WoMin African Alliance energy, climate justice, and women’s rights campaigner
Johannesburg, South Africa
Deadline: 21 February 2016
WoMin is an emerging women-led, women’s rights African alliance working alongside national and regional movements, popular organisations of women and mining-affected communities, and solidarity organisations. We work to expose the impacts of extractivism on peasant and working class women, to counter these destructive trends, and to support organising and movement-building by affected women. Most importantly, we advance an eco-feminist, post-extractivist, women-centred alternative in all of our work.
WoMin is recruiting a campaigner to lead the building of an African women-led women’s rights grassroots-driven campaign addressing fossil fuels, energy and climate justice. We are looking for:
- A woman activist, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in one, or preferably a combination, of the following content areas: extractives (ideally fossil fuels), energy, climate and gender justice
- Proven track record of building campaign platforms, networks or collaborative projects involving multiple partners/allies on complex civil society or political terrains, preferably in the Africa region
- An organiser with a deep commitment to and history of support to organising and movement-building
- A women’s rights activist with a proven history of concrete work to advance women’s rights
- A minimum two to three-year track record of fundraising and donor management
- A team player who meets deadlines, is able to problem-solve with others, is open to learning and is able to work with full accountability to campaign structures and the WoMin Director.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Lead and project manage the process of finalising and signing off a regional campaigns framework
- Work with regional and national campaigns steering committees in an initial four countries to agree a campaign structure and accountability arrangements
- Provide, mobilise and coordinate support, guidance and mentorship to lead organisations in all four countries
- Conceptualise, coordinate and lead a two-year campaigns training and capacity building plan of action at national and regional levels
- Conceive and coordinate campaigns and policy research and materials development at regional level, and support the same at national levels
- Coordinate and mobilise WoMin media and communications capacity at regional level, and support the same at national levels
- Lead campaigns fundraising with the clear oversight of the WoMin Director and regional campaigns steering group and liaise with/manage donors as required by WoMin
- Work, on a consistent basis, to widen partnerships and alliance in support of the campaign, and build strategic bridges to other efforts the campaign should be allying with and supporting
- Work with the regional and national campaigns steering groups to carefully monitor the campaign and its development, making the needed adjustments and ensuring that partner monitoring and evaluation requirements are met
We are highly committed to recruiting a black African woman with origins in Southern, East or West Africa. The candidate must be fluent in written and spoken English, and the same fluency in either French or Portuguese would be desirable, but is not a requirement. The post is located in a dynamic and growing secretariat in Johannesburg, South Africa.
For more information on this exciting new post, refer to www.womin.org.za.
Interested candidates may submit a CV, letter of motivation and contacts for three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 February 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.