MRP Foundation - Technology in Education Facilitator
Job Title: Facilitator/Coach (Technology in Education)
Employer: Implementing partner of MRP Foundation NPC
Where: The project site is at schools in the Ilembe District in the greater area of KwaDukuza/Groutville - 1 hour outside Durban.
You would be required to attend occasional meetings at the head office in Durban.
Start Date: Mid/end March 2016
Contract Type: 10 months, with potential for renewal. Successful candidates will be contracted to the implementing partner of MRP Foundation.
Application deadline: 20th February 2016
MRP Foundation - making a difference in the lives of young South Africans.
The MRP FOUNDATION is a nonprofit and Public Benefit Organisation that was established in 2006. We strive to make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of young South Africans. Our main focus is on empowerment, especially of those less privileged, through education.
More information can be found at www.mrpfoundation.org.
In 2014, we launched a Technology in Education (TechEd) Project. The TechEd project is delivered using content and training from Numeric (who use the backbone of the Khan Academy), KA Lite, Curious Learning (MIT and TUFTS University) and the Breteau Foundation. There is a focus on App based learning using tablet computers.
The project is an expanded pilot with the intention of exploring the potential of using technology in education in a rural/peri-urban environment in South Africa. The project site will be within an existing MRP Foundation programme, namely the RedCap Schools, which is run by JET Education Services.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Facilitating the deployment of the Breteau Foundation and Numeric approach at the project site/s which involves working with learners from Grade R right through to Grade 9. Facilitation will involve very large class sizes in some cases, and small classes where you will be required to provide individual attention in others
- Fulfilling the role of the facilitator for the Khan Academy/KA Lite sessions at the deployment site
- Maintaining relationships with partner school/s (principals, H.O.Ds, educators)
- Working closely with a team of other facilitators and sharing ideas for the further development of the project
- Troubleshooting and logistics involved with the project site (transport, connectivity)
- Training additional facilitators and educators on the use of the Tablets and the Numeric approach
- Contributing to the development of the deployment (curriculum, games, activities)
- Arranging parents evenings/meetings to encourage parent buy-in and commitment, including managing and executing the consent process for participation in research and for media release
- Liaising with the IT team on keeping the hardware operational
- Additional administrative tasks to assist the development of the Technology in Education portfolio of the MRP Foundation
- Reporting to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) processes/team, and conducting field work for research as directed by the research team
- Passionate about children and youth, and education
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of stakeholders
- Energetic, self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Happy working in a team
- Able to handle change and the challenges associated with a changing work environment
- Committed to life-long learning
While the position is a limited duration contract, successful implementation may lead to further opportunity and Project Management responsibility, hence a candidate who has the potential to grow into a further role will be looked at favourably.
Competencies, Technical Skills and other Requirements of the Position:
- Higher grade maths through to matric, comfortable with numbers and quantitative topics
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written, in English (Zulu a major advantage)
- Strong presentation skills
- Coaching, teaching or tutoring experience preferable
- Interest in and ability to handle new and changing technologies
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle/transport
- Willingness to travel
Interested applicants should submit a CV (maximum 2 pages) and 1 page letter of motivation, together with copy of matric certificate and other relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MRP Foundation reserves the right to not appoint for this position.
For more about MRP Foundation, refer to www.mrpfoundation.org.