Monitoring and Evaluation Database Specialist
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC seeks an M&E Database Specialist to assist in the design and development of a data collection and management system for the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity. This position reports to the Senior M & E and Research Advisor and is located in Pretoria, South Africa.
Essential functions include [but are not limited to]:
- Contribute to the development of a project database to house all project-related data
- Maintain the database including regular scheduled back-ups, tests of data integrity, periodic recovery tests, etc
- Develop standard operating procedures for administering database
- Work with project team members to ensure the database functionality meets their needs
- Create and enforce project-wide data processing protocols, including manuals and reference guides, for proper use of the project database and related functions
- Find and implement technological solutions to data-related challenges
- Ensure data cleanliness, quality and security
- Produce regular reports according to the guidelines determined by project management
- Research hardware and operating system problems and determine proper solutions, arranging and coordinating for hardware and software repairs when necessary. Recommend changes to improve data systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes
- Supervise the data-capturer
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least three years of experience developing and maintaining complex databases
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, or other related field
- Work experience with M&E in a USAID-funded project is preferred
- Experience with databases for monitoring program implementation of donor-funded projects preferred
- Experience in data collection, processing and analysis systems
- Ability to balance work within a team environment while working with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Good technical writing skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in supervising staff
- Knowledge of computer languages and systems (SQL, SPSS etc.) preferred
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to EDCSA@edc.org by 12 February 2016. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Monitoring and Evaluation Database Specialist” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.