Education Development Center (EDC)
M&E Systems Strengthening Advisor Job Description
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC seeks an M&E Systems Strengthening Advisor to assist in the design and development of a data collection and management system for the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity. This position reports to the Senior M & E and Research Advisor and is located in Pretoria, South Africa.
Essential functions include [but are not limited to]:
- Support the baseline assessment of M&E systems within central, provincial and district-level education departments
- Develop a systems strengthening/capacity building plan customized to the needs of each province based on the results of the assessment
- Provide ongoing technical support to DBE staff to review progress, work through problems, and support use of M&E data
- Provide training for government education officials focused on gathering, analyzing and using data on the implementation of comprehensive sexuality education to make decisions and plan education improvement initiatives
- Support planners and policy makers to use data for quality decision-making
- Provide assistance in setting up systems to gather data on the provision of comprehensive sexuality education at the provincial and district levels
- Facilitate policy review meetings with regard to comprehensive sexuality education to track progress in implementing new policies, identify corrective actions to speed implementation, and develop tools to assess impact
- Improve the capacity of government education officials to develop leadership, managerial, and supervisory skills to effectively implement policies and regulations with regard to comprehensive sexuality education
- Provide coaching on various issues including data analysis and evidence-based decision making, monitoring, and staff mentoring
- Support dissemination of new policies/ guidelines and opportunities for bottom-up feedback at all levels through provincial-level workshops involving government education officials; IT; paper publications; etc
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience with DBE systems in target provinces (Gauteng, Free State, Kwa Zulu Natal, Mpumalanga and Western Cape) and EMIS
- Experience in developing data collection procedures, systems design, systems analysis, and information systems project management
- At least 5 years of experience in a leadership position responsible for developing policy frameworks, preferably in the field of education
- Demonstrated experience working with government agencies, actors, and other stakeholders at the national and provincial levels
- Demonstrated expertise in policy mapping
- Demonstrated capacity to lead workshops, trainings, and strategic planning sessions
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy or related field
- Ability to travel regularly to 5 provinces
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to EDCSA@edc.org by 12 February 2016. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “M&E Systems Strengthening Advisor” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.