Axium Education is a nonprofit organisation based in Rural Eastern Cape which uses Mathematics, Science and English teaching as a means to generate opportunities for students to pursue post-secondary study.
Axium Education seeks to appoint a Foundation Phase teacher, based in Eastern Cape.
The successful candidate will become the school's founding teacher to Zithulele Independent School opening in 2016 and will serve a rich mixture of children drawn from the surrounding community.
- Teach a mixed class of Grade R and one children, no bigger than 25 in size
- Work alongside a local teaching assistant who will assist with bilingual (English and isiXhosa) instruction
- Prepare all students to be ready for English-medium instruction in 2017 alongside the teaching assistant
- Develop strong relationships with parents and the broader community
- Plan a rich and varied school curriculum (parent/volunteer-run) and after-school programme that stretches and supports all students
- Assist a strong parent committee in developing a vision and ethos for the school and plan for future expansion into older grades
- Explore opportunities for networking and support with other Foundation Phase teachers at government schools in the area
- Administrative duties associated with all of the above
- Minimum three to five years teaching experience in the Foundation Phase
- Outstanding teacher, creative, caring and knowledgeable
- Solid understanding of how children from diverse language backgrounds learn to read
- Some understanding of or keenness to learn about bilingual education
- Heart for working in a mentorship capacity as part of a team of teachers and teaching assistants
- Pioneering spirit with a willingness to be part of shaping history in our part of the world
- Interest in rural adventuring
For more information contact Craig 082 459 9877.
For more about Axium Education refer to www.axiumeducation.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.