Terms of Reference for Speak Up Mzansi Online Contributor
Freedom House is seeking qualified individuals to regularly post content and manage the social media profiles of the Speak Up Mzansi platform. These activities are expected to be carried out from November 2015 to May 2016. Consultancies are expected to be performed on a weekly part-time basis for the duration of seven months. As a consultancy featuring only online work, successful individuals are expected to work remotely. These terms of reference describe the scope of the project and its basic requirements.
Freedom House, with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is implementing a project in South Africa to promote active citizen participation through dialogue between citizens and their elected leaders. This project features a platform, Speak Up Mzansi, that comprises online and SMS channels for citizens to engage constructive dialogue around issues of importance to them. As part of developing a user community for the platform, Freedom House is working with South African organisations to recruit users and promote the platform for greater use.
The specific objective of this project is to strengthen the participation of young people in South Africa’s electoral and political processes.
II. Scope of Work:
The purpose of this consultancy is to maintain and regularly update the Speak Up Mzansi platform through the regular posting and management of content on the platform’s website and social media profiles. Individuals are expected to perform the following tasks:
- Share relevant political and current affairs information through the Speak Up Mzansi platform and its social media profiles on a daily basis;
- Create new discussion categories and topics, as well as contribute to existing discussion categories and topics appearing on the Speak Up Mzansi platform on a daily basis;
- Maintain the Speak Up Mzansi Twitter and Facebook profiles with posts and sharing of multimedia content on a daily basis;
- Communicate frequently and remain available for bi-weekly meetings with Freedom House and other Speak Up Mzansi online contributors;
- Offer feedback and contributions, in collaboration with other Speak Up Mzansi online contributors, to Freedom House’s draft Speak Up Mzansi 2016 social media growth strategy;
- Adhere strictly to the Speak Up Mzansi editorial policy in making online contributions;
- Exercise discretion throughout all aspects of the consultancy, including the development and management of online content associated with the Speak Up Mzansi platform; and
- Submit monthly progress reports to Freedom House detailing the status of ongoing and completed tasks as described above in every one month under this contract.
III. Expected outputs:
- Feedback on Speak Up Mzansi 2016 social media growth strategy;
- Posts to the Speak Up Mzansi discussion forum and Twitter and Facebook profiles; and
- Progress reports detailing work completed for each month under contract.
Successful individuals should be based in South Africa and be able to exhibit the following:
- Demonstrated understanding of major and current political and socio-economic issues in South Africa;
- Social media proficiency, particularly using Twitter and Facebook;
- Demonstrated the ability to present information and opinions in a balanced approach;
- Experience creating content designed for public consumption;
- Written proficiency in English and at least one other South African language; and
- Be a South African national.
V. Deliverables and Timeline:
A progress report must be submitted on the third of every month, detailing the content provided for the previous month (for example, a progress report for November will be due on 3 December). Progress reports must detail the days worked; frequency and number of postings (discussions created and comments made; a minimum of one discussion per week and one comment per day) made on the Speak Up Mzansi forum, Twitter and Facebook; and highlight results from the previous month’s work (ex. engagements with key South African political or celebrity personalities or groups).
While these consultancies are designed to be voluntary, individuals will be paid a small and fixed stipend on a monthly basis upon the successful completion of the aforementioned activities. The monthly stipend will not exceed ZAR 750 per contributor.
If interested, please submit a cover letter and CV to David Lindgren, Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.