The Health Foundation
The Health Foundation is a non-profit company established in 2011 with the aim of mobilising resources and facilitating partnerships to enable improvements in public healthcare services and facilities through priority projects in public healthcare in the Western Cape. Accountable stewardship of funds is key to our credibility, sustainability and impact.
Our organisation is growing and an all-round Financial Manager is invited to be part of a strong team dedicated to health equity, high ethical and professional standards, and the successful development of our organisation.
This position requires an experienced financial professional who can systematically manage the financial matters of the organisation, competently operationalise decisions and strategies; liaise with donors and stakeholders and work effectively within a small team. With the current size of the organisation, the Financial Manager will initially cover a broad scope of work until the organisation and scope of projects expand to warrant additional staff.
The Financial Manager will report to the CEO and work in concert with the Operations Manager to ensure the efficient flow and resourcing of organizational operations and projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibility will inter alia include:
- Develop and maintain efficient financial systems, policies and procedures for the organisation's operations
- Compile and manage organizational level budgets in consultation with the CEO
- Monitor and manage the authorisation and procurement of goods and services
- Implement financial administration, record keeping and bookkeeping, with some support from administrative staff
- Draft budgets for fundraising proposals and review project budgets for all new projects and ensure that all necessary costs are covered
- Prepare monthly income, cash flow and balance sheet statements.
- Prepare financial reports and management accounts for all relevant stakeholders as required and according to schedule (monthly/quarterly/annually)
- Prepare for external audits.
- Conduct training and provide support on finance requirements for staff as required
- Monitor and control banking activities and reconciliation
- Do monthly payroll and taxes of staff
- Resource planning and cash flow management
- Assist in legal matters by reviewing contracts with partners, donors and suppliers (contract management)
- Manage grants, including maintaining separate donor banking accounts and reports as per individual donor requirements
- Ensure adequate legal compliance as laid down by the SARS, Department of Labour and any other relevant legislation
- Monitor and manage organizational assets, in-kind donations and risk (insurance)
- Oversight of HR admin matters which includes developing and maintaining an HR information system to monitor and track HR information such as contract data, leave etc.
- Provide strategic support to the CEO regarding sustainability and business development
Qualifications and requirements:
- A relevant financial/accounting postgraduate degree
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in financial management with an NPO
- Experience managing budgets in a small/medium sized NPO
- Proven experience in donor budgeting requirements and donor financial reporting
- Ability to manage multiple funding streams and relevant expenditure streams, as per donor requirements
- Experience drafting, reviewing and managing contracts is desirable
- Previous exposure to government financial management processes would be an advantage.
- Computer literacy in MS Word, MS Excel and Pastel
- Knowledge of current statutory requirements and relevant statutory allocations e.g. PAYE, UIF, Skills Development
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with people at all levels
- Strong organisational and time management skills with an ability to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
Interested candidates must send a CV in Word format with three contactable work related referees to Annelie at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is based in Cape Town and the successful candidate must commence work as soon as possible. For more information of the organisation, please visit www.thehealthfoundation.org.za
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.