The International Training and Education Centre for Health (I-TECH)
Position Title: Research Analyst
Section: Strategic Information
Period of employment: November, 2015 – April 30, 2016
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
The International Training and Education Center for Health (I-TECH) is a United States of America federally-funded project which supports the development of HIV/AIDS care and treatment training initiatives in 25 developing countries acutely impacted by the global AIDS epidemic. I-TECH is an initiative of the University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Public Health & Community Medicine and the University of California, San Francisco Center for AIDS Prevention Studies. Its Central Office is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and it currently supports ten international offices, including one in Pretoria, South Africa.
I-TECH South Africa Goal:
I-TECH South Africa’s goal is to support the South African government in strengthening national health systems to ensure delivery of high quality, sustainable health care services
Brief Summary of Position:
I-TECH is seeking to appoint a Research Analyst who will strengthen I-TECH’s capacity and expertise in the areas of research design, implementation, and analysis. Under the direction of I-TECH’s Director of Strategic Information, the Research Analyst will work with I-TECH staff in field offices and the research and program team to support the implementation of I-TECH initiatives.
The Analyst will administer research study associated activities including development and adaptation of protocols, study materials, management of ethical review submissions, coordination of training activities, communication with study partners, and quality assurance of data in the field. He or she will oversee and coordinate data collection and analysis, use of evaluation tools and processes, provide administrative and support services to the director and the investigators, and develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures. The analyst will work on Direct Service program as well as other shorter projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Supervision- 5%
- Support to research staff conducting assessments
Data Management, Quality Assurance and Analysis - 70%
- Responsible for data management, quality assurance and analysis
- Assist in interpreting data and preparing final reports
- Responsible for managing, updating and mantaining data collection systems
- Assist with development, adaptation and implementation of program materials including protocol, consent documents, , and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
Coordination - 15%
- Conduct periodic site visits and liaise on a regular basis with program managers
- Monitor the progress of the research study
- Implement quality control process throughout the conduct of the study
- Identify obstacles to and find solutions for proper study implementation, conduct, and closeout
- Coordinate and implement relevant training activities for study personnel
Reporting Responsibilities - 10%
- Contribute in varying levels to the writing of study status reports to funders as requested
- Report to Ethics Commettees as required
Required Education, Training & Experience:
- Master’s degree, in either public health, demography, epidemiology, biostatistics, research or a related field
- 5 years of relevant work experience and a proven track record.
- Proven data management and health programming experience.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Knowledge and usage experience of statistical software.
- Experience submitting IRB applications.
- Experience in developing evaluation frameworks, conducing operational research and public health evaluations.
- Strong understanding of South African Health issues
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to review, synthesize information and produce quality reports
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- HIV/AIDS, TB or Prevention experience
Conditions of Employment:
This position is 1.0 FTE, is based in Pretoria, South Africa with occasional travel to other provinces. Complex deliverables on short timelines may require work in excess of 40 hours.
Applicants are required to quote the relevant Position Title mentioned above when submitting their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (+27) 86 750 2630 before the 31St of October 2015. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Preference will be given to South African applicants