Foundation for Professional Development
The Foundation for Professional Development (FPD) is a nonprofit, private organisation that works to build a better society through education and development. FPD was established by the South African Medical Association.
Job Title: Data Manager
Location: Head Office
Department: Research Unit
Reporting to: Head of the Research Unit
Main Purpose of Job:
The Data Manager will have overall responsibility for maintaining and directing the ongoing development of the data infrastructure that serves as the foundation for the research unit’s data collection and maintenance activities. The Data Manager will oversee the RU core data management functions, such as acquiring/transferring all research-related data; processing and preparing data to ensure that they are of the highest quality; ensuring compliance with all data security and ethical; and coordinating the work of data entry clerks and contractors as needed.
- Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Epidemiology or equivalent
- Honours or Master degree in a relevant field eg Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Biostatistics
Minimum Working Experience Required:
- Must be highly competent in using STATA or SAS to clean, manage and extract analytic data sets from large datasets
- Minimum of two years relevant work experience in data management using Stata and/or SAS
- Knowledge of quantitative research is essential
- Experience in working with scientists, such as epidemiologists, in formulating data requirements and preparing data for statistical analysis
- Data analysis experience, particularly definition and specification of data structures, database design concepts and data output options
- Must be proficient in desktop office applications, and possess the ability to learn new software applications and skills in a dynamic work environment
- Experience using other statistical packages (e.g., R, SPSS) is an added advantage
- Knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL) and Microsoft Access would be an added advantage
- Previous experience working in a team environment and ability to work independently
- Experience working in a health research institution is an added advantage
Job Competencies/ Abilities/ Skills Required:
Ensures research databases meet project requirements by:
- Reviewing documentation and requirements for new projects and anticipating impact to Data Management (DM) standards/processes
- Collaborate with appropriate project teams as needed to stay abreast of and changes that could affect data collection, cleaning and/or transfers.
- Attending and participating in client and research team meetings as requested.
Ensures the plan for data management is properly executed by:
- Understanding the requirements for study implementation and data collection
- Collaborating with project teams to develop study-specific edit check criteria
- Ability to conduct test and review data validation checks, issue and resolve data queries
- Evaluating the standard edit checks recommending modifications where necessary
- Maintaining organized, complete, and up-to-date study documentation
- Keeping supervisor informed of project status
Ensures the accuracy and consistency of databases by:
- Reviewing data and identifying errors/inconsistencies
- Collaborating with appropriate project team to resolve data issues
- Tracking outstanding issues and following-up until resolution
- Preparing and validating ad hoc data listings as necessary
- Performs data extraction of analytic datasets for analysis by Research Unit Staff
Mentors team members, if applicable, by:
- Training staff on departmental processes and documentation methods
- Assisting staff with problem solving and troubleshooting issues
- Leading by example with professional and collaborative conduct
- Supervise and manage team of data entry clerks and abstractors
- Store relevant data according to standard operating procedures and relevant regulations
- Prepare necessary documentation, file & storage management, inventory; provide support to the research unit
- Statistic reporting
- Manage database and data systems according to project timelines
- Must be organized, detail oriented and possess analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work well under pressure, including working with interruptions and deadlines, ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and produce quality results on schedule with attention to detail
- Communicate effectively with project managers on each project data before, during and after data collection
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, on projects and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality with data
- Excellent mastery of statistical packages (e.g., STATA, SAS, SPSS, R, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with Audio Computer-Assisted Self-Interview (ACASI) Software
- Computer literate in Microsoft Access, Excel, Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Ability to work under pressure and work long hours to meet deadlines
- The incumbent is required to perform all roles/responsibilities/duties as stipulated but is not limited to the job profile and will perform any other duties/roles stipulated by his/her supervisors.
Closing Date: 30 October 2015 at 16:00
Interested candidates should forward a motivational letter and CV to email@example.com or fax to 086 584 4751.
For enquiries please contact Leah Maenetja on 012-816- 9059.
NB: Only applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within 1 month after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.