Jembi Health Systems NPC
Jembi Health Systems NPC is a South African nonprofit company that specialises in developing, implementing and supporting health information systems in low resource settings, mainly in Africa.
Jembi seeks to appoint an experienced and well-qualified Health Information Systems (HIS) Programme Manager, based in Cape Town.
The successful candidate will develop and oversee HIS projects in South Africa and other locations in Africa. The successful applicant will report to the HIS Director and will join a vibrant team of accomplished HIS managers and a world-class team of software developers to conceptualise, fund, develop and implement HIS in low resource settings, mostly in Southern and East Africa. Jembi programme managers are expected to take overall responsibility for one or more programme areas and to contribute to the general functioning of the HIS division within Jembi. Ideal candidates will either have a medical or public health background with informatics skills/interests or a strong information systems development background with experience/interest in the nonprofit public health area.
- Overall responsibility for the success of responsible programs and projects
- Strategic and operational planning for responsible programs and projects
- Operational management of responsible programs and projects
- Coordination and communications, including writing documents and scientific papers
- Programme resource estimation and allocation
- Financial planning and budgeting and working with the Corporate Services function
- Narrative reporting to funders
- Monitoring and Evaluation planning and reporting
- Supervision and staff capacity development
- New opportunities development, resource mobilization and grant writing
- Stakeholder relations and liaison with partners and government
- Relevant tertiary level training in medicine, public health, computer science, information systems, or a related field
- Minimum of three years in a management position, supervising staff, with cross-cultural experience, preferably in the health sector in a developing country
- Programme and project management skills and experience, including project development, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, narrative and financial reporting
- Leadership skills including establishing country offices, strategy development, programme implementation, operational management and resourcing
- Knowledge and experience of health systems strengthening and health information systems development in low resource settings as well as the priorities and programmes of international donors
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to represent Jembi at a senior level with donors, government, international organisations and partners
- Good English language proficiency
- Computer literacy in common business productivity software, including Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license
- South African citizen or work permit holder
- Masters degree or PhD in Health Sciences, Public Health, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems or similar
- Ability to conduct implementation research and write high quality reports
- Understanding of requirements, SDLC and governance for information systems, in the health and related domains (eg civil registration and vital statistics)
- Government software and systems development, preferably in the public health domain
- Knowledge of rules and procedures as well as experience in budgeting and development of grant and project proposals for international funding agencies such as CDC, USAID, PEPFAR, EU, WHO, UNICEF etc
- Proficiency in other Southern African languages, Portuguese and/or French
Contract and Remuneration
Contract and Salary
The level of the position and job description will depend on qualifications and experience. The successful applicant will be offered a one-year contract with commensurate salary that is renewable, depending on performance and availability of funding. The position is available as soon as possible and preferably no later than 4 January 2016.
Location and Travel
The position will ideally be based in Cape Town, South Africa, but substantial periods of time in other African countries may be required. Depending on the final job level and description, this may include a long-term move to a base in another African country, eg Rwanda.
To apply, submit a detailed CV with referees and a covering letter, with details of the job level being applied for, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries can be directed to the HIS Director, Dr Christopher Seebregts, Email: Chris.Seebregts@jembi.org; Tel: +27 21 701 0939.
For more about Jembi Health Systems, refer to www.jembi.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.