University Of KwaZulu-Natal Foundation
|The University of KwaZulu–Natal (UKZN) is committed to Employment Equity|
|EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT VACANCY|
|For more information regarding the University profile, please visit our website and feel free to interact with us: http://www.ukzn.ac.za|
UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU-NATAL FOUNDATION
FIVE (5) YEAR FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
REFERENCE NO: UKZNF 04/2015
The University of KwaZulu-Natal Foundation is an independent trust dedicated to garnering resources for the advancement of the University. The role of UKZN Foundation is to build and sustain relationships with donors and potential donors and to negotiate donations to advance the interests of UKZN. The Executive Director is responsible for strategic leadership and management of the Foundation.
The Board of Trustees of the Foundation is seeking to appoint an exceptional individual to assume the position of Executive Director of the Foundation. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for a multi-skilled and innovative individual to make his or her mark in the higher education fundraising domain by leading the fundraising activities of South Africa’s largest residential university.
The Executive Director of the Foundation will report strategically and functionally to the Board of Trustees of the Foundation, and administratively to the Executive Director Corporate Relations.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Oversee and spearhead the fundraising programmes of the University
- Manage the disbursement of funds to beneficiaries within the University
- Direct and manage the staff as well as manage the budget of the Foundation
- Create new donor relationships and maintain existing ones on an on-going basis
- Prioritise the fundraising needs of the University in consultation with key stakeholders
- Lead project and proposal development, donor research, solicitation and campaign planning
- Represent the University and boost its profile within the donor community wherever possible
- Ensure impeccable governance and management of the affairs of the UKZN Foundation Trust
In addition, the Executive Director will work closely with the Vice-Chancellor, DVC of Research and President of Convocation to develop and expand University endowment funds and resources.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent
- Three years experience in an academic or other relevant organisation, i.e. large NPO or fundraising organisation
- Seven years management experience of which two years must be at senior management level, working closely with executive management structures
- Successful candidates must be willing to work flexible hours and travel extensively, both nationally and abroad
- A commercial oriented Master’s degree
- Working experience within an academic environment, preferably in a leadership or management position or as a senior academic
PERSONAL AND LEADERSHIP ATTRIBUTES:
We are seeking an individual with strong interpersonal capabilities, who is an institutional leader, able to foster interpersonal relationships across the institution and with stakeholders:
- To provide strategic direction to the Foundation: •Judgement •Analytical ability •Conceptual thinking
- To champion the delivery of greater results: •Committing to action •Displaying resilience •Executing assignments
- To manage self and others: •Self awareness •Building talent •Managing teams
- To foster productive working relationships: •Resourcing projects and assignments •Providing competent and respectful leadership •Living University Values - R.E.A.C.H. (Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Client Orientation and Honesty) •Excellent oral and writing skills are critical
The closing date for receipt of applications is 20 September 2015
Applicants are required to submit:
- A detailed motivation highlighting their experience in each of the requirements listed above;
- A detailed CV including full record of research, publications and teaching, if applicable;
- The name, telephone, fax and email address of three referees who are able to confirm experience listed in the motivation or CV for attention of Mrs Thabisile Gwambe, Manager: Human Resources, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Westville Campus, Private Bag X54001, Durban, 4000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please state the reference number in your subject line.
PLEASE NOTE THAT: •A job profile is available upon request •Applicants who do not meet the requirements will not be considered •The University reserves the right not to make an appointment •Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.