National Alliance of State & Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD)
Job Title: Manager, NASTAD Global – Mozambique
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa OR Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to: Associate Director, NASTAD Global
Purpose and Description
The Manager is the primary lead between NASTAD Mozambique projects and NASTAD headquarters and works with NASTAD Global resources to define areas of project focus, articulate objectives, and support comprehensive and successful implementation.
The Manager, NASTAD Global is expected to identify the most critical hurdles to scale-up and effective implementation of the defined activities, to refine priorities to address the hurdles, and to maintain and strengthen the reputation of NASTAD as a highly capable organization, whose agenda is primarily to partner with government and assist with its most pressing needs addressing the HIV epidemic.
This position provides specific support to NASTAD’s Global activities in Mozambique, which focus on building organizational capacity of provincial health departments and other local partners for delivery of high quality, sustainable HIV program services. The Manager engages in other project support as requested.
1. Provide strategic leadership and take responsibility to ensure comprehensive in-country project planning, implementation, reporting
- Guide planning and implementation of NASTAD activities in Mozambique including the development, use and monitoring and evaluation of monthly, quarterly and annual work plans, budgets and deliverables.
- With input from NASTAD Global and in-country stakeholders facilitate mobilization and training of technical resources—staff, consultants and/or technical assistance providers—to support the effective and complete implementation of proposed projects, activities and deliverables.
- Develop, implement and monitor sub-award agreements and contracts with local and U.S. based organizations and individuals to support project deliverables and provide training and technical assistance to those agencies as appropriate
- Liaise and collaborate with government, partner agencies and other NASTAD programs to identify, adapt and use best practices.
- Guide, support, approve and ensure submission of all country-specific program and fiscal reporting including:
- Supported development and implementation of internal monitoring and external reporting protocols and tools.
- Quarterly review and revision of and reporting out on quarterly and annual work plans and deliverables.
- Supported development and submission of work plans, budgets and reports for donors and partners to support ongoing funding.
- Supported management of each project's budget, including review, approval and supervision of monthly accounting, cash flow and reporting to HQ and donors of all expense points.
- Oversight of written commitments and/or contracts related to country–specific programs binding NASTAD.
- Draft and edit articles, reports, fact sheets and issue briefs on programs and policies for NASTAD publications.
2. Provide strategic leadership to support in-country project and program sustainability
- Develop strong relationships with key in-country partners including staff, contractors, TA providers, government stakeholders, international agencies, NGOs and/or donors.
- Support bi-directional communication between NASTAD and in-country staff and/or stakeholders to ensure NASTAD’s capabilities are being fully leveraged to successfully meet or exceed deliverables.
- Support and mentor successful navigation of complex programmatic planning and implementation with multiple government divisions, funders and partners via negotiation and consensus building.
- Support country growth towards operational independence by maintaining knowledge of and compliance with all pertinent NASTAD policies and facilitate communication with the Director of International Operations, NASTAD Global, to ensure alignment and compliance with operational requirements.
- With support from the Senior Director, NASTAD Global, strategically seek opportunities to mobilize resources for the expansion and strengthening of NASTAD programs and activities.
- Represent NASTAD at meetings and conferences as requested.
- Fluent (written and oral communications) in Portuguese
- Graduate degree in Public Health or Public Administration or related fields
- Minimum of two years’ experience in international development and/or state/local governmental work that focused on building local capacity
- Strong and demonstrated experience in:
- Assessment and implementation of a data-driven response
- Development of others’ abilities to implement and sustain a program
- Program management
- Strategic visioning, planning and implementation
- Project monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Document and report development
- Experience developing and implementing program plans, budgets, developing program and financial reports, coordinating technical assistance/training programs including travel and logistics and managing training is preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent training and presentation skills
- Excellent written/oral communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of processes and metrics related to organizational change and growth
- Knowledge of HIV, including HIV prevention, care and treatment best practices and approaches to changing individual and community HIV risk factors
- Ability to navigate complex government processes with multiple influencers while negotiating and achieving consensus
- Serve as great mentor, manager, role model and team player/builder, have and meet high performance standards and lead staff and team in meeting and/or exceeding expectations and goals
- Strong analytical skills
- Exceptional ability to work independently and autonomously
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with strong computer skills
- Must be available to travel internationally
Visual Acuity, Hearing and Speaking
This position requires excellent verbal and written command of the English and Portuguese language.
Physical Effort and Dexterity
This position requires independent travel and mobility.
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working in an HIV-focused public health organization
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment
- Willing to travel, domestically and internationally, as needed
This position is FLSA exempt.
This position description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this position description.
The employer has the right to revise this position description at any time. The position description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any lawful reason.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HumanResources@NASTAD.org. Subject line should read “Manager, NASTAD Global – Mozambique” only and cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants.
Due to extremely high volume of resumes submitted, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.