Education Development Center
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Position Title: Driver
Summary: Driver will support operations for this activity. This position is located in: Pretoria, South Africa.
Essential functions include [but are not limited to]:
- Provide safe transportation to and from locations for EDC staff and visitors;
- Demonstrate ability to maintain composure and work effectively in fast paced environment;
- Manage vehicle and trip scheduling as needed;
- Organize daily travel routes and juggling conflicting requests;
- Maintain an accurate vehicle log;
- Maintain accurate records and paperwork on all vehicle-related purchases and maintenance;
- Responsible for licensing, registration and inspection of the project vehicle, including handling all annual renewals and inspections;
- Assures that vehicles are equipped with the proper equipment;
- Assure accidents are reported to supervisor and related forms are completed;
- Record gasoline consumption;
- Perform daily inspection of vehicle and alert supervisor to possible tampering of vehicle;
- Vehicle maintenance including regular check-ups, cleanings, and fueling.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Secondary Education or Vocational Training required;
- Good knowledge of Gauteng road systems;
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures;
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate a loaded passenger vehicle;
- Knowledge of basic vehicle inspection and maintenance including tyre pressure;
- Must be self-motivated, innovative and able to work under tight time constraints;
- Good English communication skills;
- Excellent driving record;
- Valid local driver’s license;
- At least 5 years work experience as a driver;
- NGO or other Donor project experience.
Application and contact details:
Interested, qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to EDCSA@edc.org by 16 September 2015. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Driver” in the subject line of the email or cover letter. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.