Association of Water and Rural Development (AWARD)
This fixed-term contract (18 months) position has opened at the Association for Water and Rural Development (AWARD), an NGO based in Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province. The person in this position will form part of the AWARD team within the USAID: Resilience in the Limpopo River Basin – Olifants Catchment program (USAID RESILIM-O), the purpose being to reduce vulnerability through building improved transboundary governance and management of the Olifants Catchment so as to enhance the resilience of its people and ecosystems through systemic and social learning approaches. The post is based at AWARD’s office in Hoedspruit.
This is a management position which includes administrative responsibilities. The Grants & Contracts Manager will manage the Grants and Contracts Management unit supported by the Program Manager, Finance Manager and other technical staff. This position will report directly to the Program Manager.
Overall Purpose: Responsible for the provision of grants and contracts management support to the RESILIM-O programme and ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the award.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Directors, Program Manager, Finance Manager, and technical staff to prepare and update the grants and subcontracts tracking in line with expected project results and outcomes, specifically to inform budget forecasts;
- Establish and maintain a tracking system for preparation of Annual Program Statements (APSs) and Requests for Applications / Proposals (RFAs/RFPs), evaluation of grant and subcontract proposals, grantee/subcontractor selection, grant / subcontract awards, monitoring of performance and grants / subcontract deliverable payments;
- Provide advice to Directors and Programme Manager on appropriate grants and subcontracts mechanisms for funding specific programme activities;
- Analyse grant applications, proposals, and awards to ensure adherence to project grant management policies and procedures and USAID: RESILIM-O guidelines, as well as USAID rules and regulations;
- Participate in pre-award audits and following up or post-award audits with grantees or institutions who are awarded with grants with conditions and ensure that the conditions are met within the stipulated time frames and as per agreement;
- Review and analyse grant and subcontract budgets for adherence, allocation, and consistency;
- Coordinate with the finance team the assessment of cost proposals;
- Provide quarterly reports on the grants and contracts status (i.e. a tracking system which shows deliverables and status for each grant and contract);
- Ensure timely preparation of complete grant documentation following procedures established in the USAID: RESILIM-O Grants Manual for internal grants approval followed by approval from USAID;
- Monitor sub-grantees to ensure compliance with USAID and USAID: RESILIM-O grants administrative requirements, including conducting site visits for internal audits.
- Work closely with program staff to monitor sub-recipient performance to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the award;
- Provide training and orientation to staff and sub-grantees on USAID rules, administrative requirements and regulations;
- Participate in external audits for the host organisations (where appropriate);
- Support the program manager in terms of preparation of all external contracts
- Manage the sub-grantee Start Up phase and the Close Out process
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or CA qualification or studying towards a CA qualification with at least 3 years work experience or other business management related field required,
- A diploma in business management or related studies with a minimum of at least four years’ working experience on a USAID funded program
- Master’s degree or studying towards an MBA will be an advantage
- Minimum of four years’ experience in managing USAID funded grants / sub-agreements administration and management
- Experience with working in the NGO/NPO sector will be an advantage • Formal training on USAID or USG administrative compliance requirements, regulations, financial management of awards, regulations and policies with reputable institutions will be preferred;
- Familiar with generally acceptable accounting principles and IFRSs (international financial reporting standards) or SA GAAP
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
- Liaise with project partners;
- Teamwork and collaboration;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of office software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Planning and project management skills;
- Fluency in English (read, write, understand);
- Preference will be given to persons that have experience in working in an NGO environment;
- Valid driver’s licence (EB);
- Willingness to travel.
Closing date: 10th July, 2015.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their CV’s, including at least three contactable references, and certified copies of qualifications to:
The Office Manager Association for Water and Rural Development (AWARD)
PO Box 1919, Hoedspruit, 1380,
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. If no response has been received within 21 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful. AWARD is committed to fair recruitment and selection practice and shall not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, political opinion, culture, language and birth.
AWARD reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement at any time or choose not to fill this position or to employ from within the organization.