Association of Water and Rural Development (AWARD)
This fixed-term contract (18 months) position has opened at the Association of Water and Rural Development (AWARD), an NGO based in Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province. The person in this position will form part of the AWARD team within the USAID: Resilience in the Limpopo River Basin – Olifants Catchment program (USAID RESILIM-O), the purpose being to reduce vulnerability through building improved transboundary governance and management of the Olifants Catchment so as to enhance the resilience of its people and ecosystems through systemic and social learning approaches. The post is based at AWARD’s office in Hoedspruit.
This is an operations position which includes administrative responsibilities. The Grants and Contracts Accountant will be part of the Grants Management Unit reporting to the Grants and Contracts Manager and working in liaison with the finance manager and administrative and program staff within AWARD.
Overall Purpose: To administer the financial accounting of USAID sub-grants and contracts for the USAID: RESILIM-O program. S/he will be responsible for fiscal management of sub-grants and contracts in accordance with government, donor and AWARD financial policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and reconciliations;
- Support the management of sub-grants through partnership assessments, pre-award and post-award assessments, advancing grants and monitoring progress through financial tracking;
- Process cash requests and disbursements for sub-grants and ensure funds are available for project implementation;
- Advise the Grants and Contracts Manager and Finance Manager on project financial performance while tracking expenditures for all sub-grantees timeously;
- Assist Directors, Grants and Contracts Manager and Finance Manager with pre award authorizations, procurements, travel authorizations, and budget adjustments;
- Support the review process of partners’ and sub grantee’s financial and program reports and documentation;
- Support internal and external audit preparations ensuring all relevant documents are available and filed systematically;
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of a donor reporting matrix, financial analysis, and bank reconciliation for respective project bank accounts;
- Update and maintain the Pastel Accounting system with sub-grant data to ensure smooth implementation and tracking of projects;
- Review sub grantee financial reports in liaison with the programme team members to ensure compliance and identify areas for capacity strengthening in terms of sub grantees’ financial management and reporting
- Manage the procurement of special services i.e. the sub awards, fixed price grants and purchase orders as necessary
- As part of the grants management team participate in day-to-day activities to ensure clear segregation of duties and smooth operations of both the finance and grants teams
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or National Higher Diploma in Finance or Accounting will be preferred and a minimum of four years’ relevant work experience.
- Formal training or experience on USAID Administrative Compliance regulations, financial management of awards, regulations and policies would be preferred.
- Experience in working with Pastel accounting system
- Experience in the development or implementation of sub-agreements/grants and contracts
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
- Liaise with project partners;
- Teamwork and collaboration;
- Computer literacy and knowledge of office software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Planning and project management skills;
- Fluency in English (read, write, understand);
- Preference will be given to persons that have experience in working in an NGO environment;
- Valid driver’s license (EB);
- Willingness to travel.
Closing date: 10th July, 2015.
Candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their CV’s, including at least three contactable references, and certified copies of qualifications to:
The Office Manager
Association for Water and Rural Development (AWARD)
PO Box 1919, Hoedspruit, 1380, Tel. 015-7930503
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If no response has been received within 21 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful
AWARD is committed to fair recruitment and selection practice and shall not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, political opinion, culture, language and birth.
AWARD reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement at any time or choose not to fill this position or to employee from within the organization.