Senior Finance Officer - Prisons Health and HIV and AIDS
VSO is an international development organisation that contributes towards addressing poverty and disadvantage through the placement of international and national skilled professional volunteers and other capacity building interventions with national and regional partners. The Regional Health and AIDS Initiative for Southern Africa (RHAISA), is Voluntary Service Overseas’ (VSO’s) flagship programme championing our regional response to Health and HIV and AIDS in southern Africa. The main aim of VSO RHAISA is to strengthen the capacity of government, civil society actors and communities to develop, implement and manage effective and appropriate responses posed by health and HIV and AIDS in the region. RHAISA co-ordinates regional engagement with government and civil society actors and operate in Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe from the VSO RHAISA office in Pretoria, South Africa.
VSO RHAISA is seeking an experienced and highly motivated finance professional who can handle the day to day financial and budget transactions for Prisons health and HIV and AIDS project. You will provide finance and administration support for smooth running of VSO RHAISA prison project. A strong track record in financial management and business administration is required for this position.
- Ensure that all payment requests are valid, have adequate supporting documents and are checked for budget availability and processed timeously in line with standing policy
- Prepare journals for all payments and receipts and post them to the SUN Accounting System at least weekly
- Ensure that monthly reconciliations of cash and bank balances are done and reconciling items followed-up timely.
- Make timely remittance of all statutory payments at the end of the month
- Monitor staff and volunteer advances and send periodic reminders to clear any outstanding advances.
- Support procurement processes and ensure that VSO policy and donor rules are adhered to at all times
- Assist the Finance and Admin Manager in preparing monthly budget monitoring reports for the Prisons Project and conducting monthly finance meetings with Senior Management
- Prepare quarterly donor reports for the Prisons Project including Consolidated reports for the project for review by the Finance and Admin Manager
- Review partner disbursement requests and follow-up on small grants to SANOP, community based organizations and government sectors in line with VSO finance policy
- Assist the Finance and Admin Manager to conduct on-going assessments and support for partner financial capacity development
- Participate in regular project monitoring meetings
The Essential requirements for this post are:
- Degree level qualification in finance or business management.
- At least 3 year experience of working in a similar position.
- Good coordination skills - methodical and self-organized.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems – Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Ability to think quickly to respond to immediate requests.
- Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving.
The successful candidate will be based in Pretoria and offered competitive local terms and conditions.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please follow the link to the VSO website http://vso.force.com/jobopportunities and download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Applications close on 12 July 2015.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for interviews.