Education Development Center (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programmes.
EDC is a global nonprofit organisation that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programmes to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Position Title: Human Resource Officer (HR Officer)
Summary: The HR Officer supports the Human Resource aspect for staff and consultants of the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity. The HR Officer assists in ensuring the implementation of policies and programmes and reports to the Director of Financial Management and Operations. This is a part time position (50% time).
Working under the supervision of the Director of Financial Management and Operations, the HR Officer will perform specific duties including but not limited to:
- Organising recruitment and staffing logistics;
- Managing performance management and benefit and leave tracking systems;
- Organising and executing employee orientation and staff data recordkeeping;
- Maintaining benefits records and liaising and negotiating with insurance companies
- Maintaining employee files and the HR filing system;
- Managing staff disciplinary procedures in coordination with the senior management;
- Developing staff policies in accordance with South African Law, ensuring compliance with EDC global policies and overseeing effective implementation of the policies;
- Assisting with efficient operation of the Pretoria office;
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A diploma in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or Social Science field;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in related positions;
- Experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects;
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills to work with staff at all levels in the organisation;
- Demonstrated organisational and leadership skills to manage operations staff and coordinate well with staff from other units;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Proactive and creative, get the job done spirit;
- Culturally astute, respectful and tolerant with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Detail-oriented and organised;
- Good report writing skills;
- Experience working with computers, especially MS Word and MS Excel;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment.
Reporting and Organisational Relationships:
This position is located in Pretoria, South Africa and reports to the Director of Financial Management and Operations. This position will maintain close communication relationships with the technical team as well as operational staff as relevant. As needed, this position will liaise with EDC Home Office staff for HR and corporate compliance, guidance and support.
Interested, qualified candidates for this part-time position are requested to submit their resumes to EDCSA@edc.org by 10th July 2015. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Human Resource Officer” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.