University of Limpopo Trust
Job title: M&E Officer
Location: Polokwane, Limpopo
Contract period: August 2015-December 2017
Remuneration: Competitive, to be discussed with the selected candidate
The Limpopo Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Centre of Excellence (University of Limpopo Trust) is receiving support from ELMA Philanthropies for a 3 year programme aimed at supporting newborn and child health in Limpopo. The core function of the programme is to support the Provincial Clinical Specialist Team (PCST) to achieve 3 overarching objectives:
- To provide support to the national newborn implementation strategy
- To develop learning materials, tools, and communication platforms and a resource centre to support newborn and paediatric care in Limpopo
- To drive improvement in maternal, newborn and paediatric care in Limpopo by designing and implementing innovative approaches to priority interventions
The programme is implemented under the auspices of the newly established ‘Limpopo Maternal Newborn and Child Health Centre of Excellence’ based in Polokwane.
The programme will be implemented from 2015 to 2017.
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer will provide day-to-day management of the monitoring and evaluation activities related to the Limpopo Maternal Newborn and Child Health Centre of Excellence in Polokwane; including working with the PCST, DCSTs and other Specialists, programme staff, external consultants, implementing partners, and provincial and district role-players.
This is a contract position based in Polokwane and the M&E Officer will report directly to the Project Director/Provincial Paediatrician.
- Lead in identifying and contracting a service provider to develop an electronic monitoring system around key MCH indicators and data, and critical incident reporting around maternal and child deaths
- Provide accessible information and reports to relevant provincial and district role-players and DCST
- Provide overall management for the design and implementation of a pilot project to document and audit the cause of childhood death in the community (over 50% of deaths occur in the community and not in a health facility)
- Working closely with the PCST and programme staff, consultants and partners, provide progress updates to the Project Director, donors and key stakeholders
- Serve as the focal person for all monitoring and evaluation related work
- Develop and refine various data collection instruments (both quantitative and qualitative), and maintain a results database to aggregate data
- Work with information officers on data quality issues
- Manage the information-gathering process for results and performance reports, in addition to other briefings, summaries, papers, presentations, etc. for various audiences as needed
- Support the PCST to identify information required to improve outcomes
- Train DCST and partners on the accurate use of the monitoring systems, providing ongoing coaching/support through regular site monitoring visits, and ensure quality control and problem solving as needed
- Document good practices, lessons learned, cross-cutting policy and implementation issues, etc.
- Identify and lead on research interventions and collect content and stories about the project's achievements
- Minimum of five years professional experience in M&E positions of increasing seniority with responsibility for implementing M&E activities of development projects.
- Degree in statistics, demographics, public health, international development, or related field. Master’s degree plus an advanced certificate in M&E or statistics would be an advantage.
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
- Experience designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys, developing and refining data collection tools, data quality assessments and oversight and managing and providing ongoing training to M&E field officers.
- Ability to facilitate and serve as a project liaison for externally-managed evaluations.
- Must be proficient in both written and spoken English language.
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience of the South African Health System
- Experience in MNCH is an advantage
The M&E Officer will sign a 29 month performance based contract, commencing 01 August 2015.
Location: Limpopo Maternal Newborn and Child Health Centre of Excellence, Polokwane.
- Cover Letter
Kindly indicate where you heard/saw the position.
Closing Date: 17th July 2015