Stop Hunger Now SA
Stop Hunger Now SA (SHN SA) is a non-profit organisation with branches in Johannesburg and Cape Town and a new branch scheduled to open in Durban shortly. It has as its mission, to end hunger in South Africa through the implementation of a results oriented nutrition program by connecting the resourced community with nutritionally vulnerable individuals, and to respond to disaster situations in which basic food security is threatened.
The organisation’s strategic objectives are to achieve continual growth in the number of meals provided per day for national distribution through inclusive strategic partnerships between government, corporations, foundations, civic and ecumenical communities, non-profit organisations and private individuals.
SHN SA is seeking a dynamic, adaptable person to fill the position at its new Durban Branch of Events Coordinator. The incumbent will report to the Branch Manager, and the appointment is effective from the 1st September 2015.
In the post of Events & Meal Distribution Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing, processing and coordinating all meal packaging events relating to Stop Hunger Now SA in KZN as well as being responsible for implementing the meal distribution programme.
Key responsibilities for the position:
Meal Packaging Event Coordination
- Secures volunteers to attend pre- event training to assist with the meal packaging event.
- Coordinates the supply of ingredients of the targeted meals.
- Coordinates the required equipment for meal packaging events.
- Facilitates sponsored events in which the concept of SHN SA is explained.
Pre-Meal Packaging Event Activities
- Receives enquiries for MPEs and explains programme to prospective sponsors.
- Prepares Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for submission to sponsor.
- Receives completed MOU from sponsor and checks for correctness.
- Submits completed MOU to Head Office.
- Advises Branch Manager of beneficiaries.
- Prepares the number of kits, ingredients and any other marketing material as required for the event.
- Checks all items in the kits are functioning prior to packaging and replaces all damaged and/or malfunctioning items.
- Arranges for delivery of the equipment and meal ingredients to the venue for the event.
Meal Packaging Event Activities
- Conducts the introduction to the MPE and the procedure to be followed to volunteers at the event.
- Conducts the meal packaging event as per the SHN SA Training Manual.
- Ensures that the Volunteer Register is completed.
- Collects and/or completes the Volunteer Response Forms and/or Post Its.
- Signs off the Event Schedule with the Sponsor’s representative.
- Counts, collects and signs for all cash received during the event.
- Notes and records any anomalies during event e.g. contamination of ingredients, damaged goods, shortages, etc. and reports to Branch Manager.
- Records and responds to complaints if any from the Event sponsor.
- Marks and records any damages or non-functional equipment in the kit boxes.
- Ensures that all packed boxes are clearly marked with the date of the packaging, venue and expiry date, and that lot tracking numbers are securely affixed.
Post-Meal Packaging Event Activities
- Ensures all kits and excess ingredients have been returned to the warehouse.
- Scans Event Schedule, Volunteer Register, Post – Its and together with photographs enters into the Event File on the SHN SA server.
- Submits all cash collected at the event to the Branch Manager.
- Reports all anomalies to the Branch Manager.
- Oversees the reconciliation of the event schedule and captures all unused and returned stock on the Event Planner – follows up by ensuring Head Office captures the information in order to close the event.
- Sends out thank you letters to the sponsor within 24 hours of the event.
- Prepares the meal distribution schedule.
- Ensures delivery of meals as per distribution schedule.
- Captures distribution orders and sends information to Head Office for capturing on Pastel.
- Assists in promoting events where possible. Media, social media, promotional events etc.
- Provides marketing material and merchandise for each event.
- Controls and monitors marketing material required for events.
- Oversees the posting of regular Facebook posts regarding events and activities.
- Submits posts, upcoming event information and news articles for placement on the website.
It is desirable that the applicant fulfils the following competencies. Qualifications, skills and experience required will include, but not be limited to:
- Relevant degree / diploma. (recognition of equivalent learning in the workplace will be considered should the candidate not meet this requirement).
- Three years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both verbal and written).
- A willingness to work outside regular working hours.
- A high level of computer literacy (Microsoft Office ; Word & Excel).
- A Self-starter who is motivated, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Fluency in isiZulu.
We further expect that the applicant is motivated by a passion for eradicating hunger and would be driven by this desire.
Because of the manual nature of certain aspects of the job, applicants must be medically fit and be able to assist in carrying boxes of packed meals and ingredients.
A valid Code 8 driver’s licence (manual) is essential. The incumbent must be prepared to undergo training during the initial 3-month period in order to obtain a Code 10 licence.
A basic salary of R180 000 pa, plus bonus scheme participation and Provident Fund is envisaged.
Closing date for applications is the 30th June 2015. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please address your CV and three contactable references to:
Director- Stop Hunger Now Southern Africa
Tel (Mobile): +27 (0)72 294 7444
Fax: +27 (0)86 276 2039