Stop Hunger Now SA
Stop Hunger Now SA (SHN SA) is a non-profit organisation with branches in Johannesburg and Cape Town and a new branch scheduled to open in Durban shortly. It has as its mission, to end hunger in South Africa through the implementation of a results oriented nutrition program by connecting the resourced community with nutritionally vulnerable individuals, and to respond to disaster situations in which basic food security is threatened.
The organisation’s strategic objectives are to achieve continual growth in the number of meals provided per day for national distribution through inclusive strategic partnerships between government, corporations, foundations, civic and ecumenical communities, non-profit organisations and private individuals.
SHN SA is seeking a dynamic, adaptable person to fill the position at its new Durban Branch of Branch Manager. The incumbent will report to the Chief Executive Officer, and the appointment is effective from the 1st September 2015.
In the post of Branch Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing and controlling all aspects of the daily operation of the branch including meal packaging events, procurement, logistics and meal distribution. Responsibilities will also include fulfilling administration duties such as Health and Safety issues, implementing policies and procedures and control of staff.
Key responsibilities for the position:
Sales, MArketing and Public Relations:
Promotes the philosophy and vision of SHN SA to corporates, civil society, ecumenical communities, government agencies and other agencies. Marketing and fundraising functions will include inter-alia
- Designs and implements marketing and promotional strategic plans in conjunction with the CEO.
- Promotes the organisation’s vision and mission.
- Controls and monitors marketing material required for events.
- Prepares fund -raising proposals.
- Developes relationships with new sponsors and maintains relationships with existing sponsors.
- Identifies, assesses and secures Shopping Centre Events.
- Identifies, assesses and secures other fund raising initiatives eg. volunteers and events from resourced schools.
- Submits posts, upcoming event information and news articles for placement on the website.
- Researches potential new donors for meal packaging events and other funding as well as arrange meetings to present SHN SA to these funders, in order to solicit and secure funding.
- Reports weekly on new business secured.
- Compiles a monthly operational and financial report for the CEO
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget for the branch, including the preparation of annual operational plans.
- Maintains branch expenditure within approved budgeted parameters.
Procurement & Logistics
- Conducts regular stock takes with the LPO of raw materials as well as complete food boxes.
- Ensures that SHN-SA vehicles are being used and dispatched correctly and monitor log books.
- Conduct regular meetings with the LPO to discuss stock levels of meal ingredients and requirements for upcoming events.
- Oversee and monitor all incoming packed boxes from meal packaging events ensuring correct placement, stock rotation and up-to-date stock count
Meal Packaging Events:
Pre- Meal Packaging Event Activities
- Trains and equips Event Coordinators to host meal packaging events.
- Ensures adequate preparations for meal packaging events as per standard procedures are carried out.
Post -Meal Packaging Event Activities:
- Ensures required post MPE activities are carried out as per specified procedures.
- Hosts (Coordinates) meal packaging events, as and when required.
- Prepares weekly meals distribution schedules.
- Monitors and measures the performance of distribution to ECD’s.
- Monitors and checks meal box allocation for deliveries.
- Evaluates all reporting done on ECD’s.
- Deals with issues and irregularities relating to ECD’s that may arise.
- Conducts ad-hoc inspections at ECD’s to monitor performance and check accuracy of reporting.
- Checks and monitors new ECD assessments and make sure they comply with SHN SA requirements.
- Monitors and checks that all documents, photographs and reporting is documented and correctly filed.
- Implements Branch invoicing, stock control and other required accounting procedures utilising Pastel.
- Staff Administration. Ensures accurate Timekeeping, Leave and Overtime records are kept and are up to date.
Effectively manages the human resources of the branch according to authorised HR policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations. Staff management functions will include inter-alia:
- Manages all communications of the Branch staff.
- Holds Branch staff accountable for key performance outputs.
- Trains, develops and motivates Branch staff in the objectives of the organisation.
- Motivates Branch staff.
- Holds Branch staff accountable for key performance outputs.
- Conducts performance reviews with staff at prescribed intervals.
- Establishes training needs for staff from prescribed performance reviews.
- Identifies ad-hoc training needs for staff.
- Conducts volunteer Coordinator and Volunteer Field Officer training.
Qualifications, skills and experience required will include, but not be limited to:
- A relevant tertiary qualification (preferably in Sales/Marketing).
- A minimum of five years in sales/marketing .
- A minimum of three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both verbal and written).
- Excellent presentation skills and experience in negotiating at high levels in the corporate environment to promote the organisation.
- An extensive knowledge of the NGO sector and particularly the fundraising sector.
- A willingness to work outside regular working hours.
- A high level of computer literacy (Microsoft Office, Pastel).
- A Self-starter who is motivated, energetic and enthusiastic.
- Good ability to analyse situations with strong problem solving skills.
- The ability to close deals.
- An abilility to work under pressure.
- Fluency in isiZulu would be a further advantage.
We further expect that the applicant is motivated by a passion for eradicating hunger and would be driven by this desire.
The applicant must be medically fit, and possession of a valid driver’s licence is essential.
Possession of a Code 10 licence would be an advantage, otherwise the applicant must be prepared to obtain one after suitable training.
A basic salary of R 336 000 pa, plus bonus scheme participation and Provident Fund is envisaged.
Closing date for applications is the 30th June 2015. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please address your CV and three contactable references to:
Director- Stop Hunger Now Southern Africa
Tel (Mobile): +27 (0)72 294 7444
Fax: +27 (0)86 276 2039