Soul City Institute
Soul City Institute for health and development communication (soul city institute) is a dynamic and innovative multi-media health promotion and social change communication organisation, which has been in existence since 1992. Through drama and entertainment soul city institute’s mass media vehicles reach more than 16 million South Africans. This is achieved through two main brands, soul city targeted at adults and soul Buddyz targeted at 8-14 year olds and adults in their lives.
Through drama and entertainment Soul City Institute’s mass media vehicles reach more than 16 million South Africans. This is achieved through 2 main brands, Soul City targeted at adults and Soul Buddyz targeted at 8 - 14 year olds and adults in their lives.
Soul City seeks to appoint Provincial Coordinators, based in the respective province:
- Limpopo (Polokwane);
- Eastern Cape (East London);
- Mpumalanga (Nelspruit).
These are one year, fixed-term renewable contracts.
The person will assist the provincial manager to implement the SCI Programme strategy at provincial level in order to achieve the SCI’s objectives.
Coordination of youth projects
- Effectively support the provincial manager in rolling out the soul Buddyz club and/or young women’s club programmes in the province which includes:
- coordinate the preparation and monitoring of project plans
- coordinate incoming and outgoing communication with soul Buddyz clubs and/or young women’s clubs and determine the appropriate follow up action required,
- identify diverse community based organisations to partner with for innovative campaign execution.
- oversee fieldworkers and other service providers/suppliers in the province in accordance with the terms and conditions of their relevant contracts
- together with the provincial manager, conduct community mapping and ongoing intelligence gathering for project risk and opportunities.
- in consultation with the provincial manger, develop and implement project plans for the training and fieldwork activities required to support soul Buddyz clubs and/or young women’s clubs in the province.
- facilitate trainings and dialogues for projects in the province and districts.
- co-ordinate the logistical support required for the implementation of training, fieldwork and monitoring activities in the province.
- Develop and implement distribution plans for soul Buddyz club and/or young women’s club programmes;
- Monitor the distribution of materials to soul Buddyz clubs and/or young women’s clubs in the province;
- Coordinate AFC activities in the province;
- Assist with fundraising for the AFC project.
Coordination of provincial projects
- Represent SCI in provincial forums relating to SCI provincial work;
- Run community dialogues where appropriate;
- Train communities in the province where appropriate.
Monitoring of training and fieldwork activities
- Support the provincial manager in the development and implementation of a monitoring plan (including visits) for the province;
- Collect and collate data and reports from fieldworkers;
- Prepare monthly reports on training, fieldwork and monitoring activities in the province;
- In consultation with the provincial manager , prepare and deliver presentations at relevant meetings and forums;
- Ensure that fieldworkers have the relevant data collection tools: attendance registers, dialogue and training reports and evaluation forms and other relevant tools which the M&E team will provide as and when required;
- Ensure that data collected is captured correctly and it meets the required M&E standards;
- Capture visual and audio footage of various activities.
Relationship building and management
- Maintain relationships with the departments of basic education and health at provincial and district levels;
- Develop, strengthen and sustain strategic partnerships and alliances with key government departments and other stakeholders in the province that are critical for the success of the programme;
- Keep abreast of developmental changes in the province and gather intelligence to ensure the programme stays relevant to the provincial context and meets best practice standards;
- Attend meetings with government and other key stakeholders and give verbal and written feedback;
- In consultation with the provincial manager prepare, deliver and represent soul city in various meetings and forums.
Project cycle management
- In consultation with the provincial manager, develop and present programme presentations where required for both internal and external stakeholders;
- Coordinate relevant workshops and generate workshop reports;
- Prepare and submit monthly reports;
- Administration and project planning;
- Maintain and grow the youth programme’s sourcing opportunities to extend the brand with various stakeholders;
- Provide the necessary administrative support and assistance for the implementation of the youth projects at provincial and district levels.
- co-ordinate the receipt, checking and submission of invoices to the provincial manager in order to facilitate timeous payments;
- assist with the procurement, and payment of service providers/suppliers;
- comply with all financial policies and procedures (including procurement);
- undertake spending with regard to value for money and ensure that service provider pricing is competitive.
Human resources management
- Participate in the recruitment of provincial fieldworkers and service providers;
- In consultation with the provincial manager, identify own training and coaching requirements to achieve optimal performance;
- Represent the organization at provincial and district levels with a high level of professionalism, efficiency and ethics;
- Comply with all hr policies and procedures.
- Minimum of three year diploma, a degree or an equivalent qualification in communication, education, health, public health, social science or social work;
- Minimum of three years experience in the health and/or development sector;
- Experience in developing educational materials would be an added advantage;
- Experience and understanding of children sector issues is essential;
- Knowledge of all legislation relevant to children’s issues i.e. the child protection act, the constitution of south Africa, etc;
- knowledge of the edutainment development process would be an added advantage;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office - including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook;
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills;
- Communication skills in other south African languages would be an added advantage;
- Strong planning and organisation skills;
- Meticulous and able to pay attention to detail;
- Ability to interpret data and information in order to generate reports;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise;
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to use own initiative and take ownership of his/her tasks;
- Good team player;
- Valid driver licence;
- Own transport.
This is an internal and external advert.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify the province.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - Ngo Pulse Portal.
For more about the soul city institute, refer to www.soulcity.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.