Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is the first international forum to unite eminent women scientists from the developing and developed worlds with the objective of strengthening their role in the development process and promoting their representation in scientific and technological leadership.
Postgraduate Training Fellowships for Women Scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDC) at Centres of Excellence in the South. The Fellowship is offered to women scientists to pursue postgraduate research in a field of the natural sciences.
This fellowship programme is for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa or Least Developed Countries (LDCs) who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a doctorate degree at a centre of excellence in the South outside their own country.
- Please read the following information carefully before applying.
- Only women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and/or one of the Least Developed Countries can apply.
- Host institutions must be located in a developing country.
- Applications that are incomplete or illegible cannot be considered. Please make sure all the requested enclosures are submitted together with your application.
With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted a fellowship programme for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDCs), who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a PhD, at centres of excellence in the South (developing countries), outside their own country.
The general purpose of the scheme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
The specific aims of the scheme are:
- To improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa and LDCs;
- To increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists in Sub-Saharan Africa and LDCs; and
- To empower a new generation of talented women to assume a leadership role in science and technology and their application to sustainable development.
The scheme provides fellowships to young female students from Sub-Saharan African countries and/or LDCs, to enable them to pursue postgraduate studies leading to PhD degrees at centres of excellence (renowned research institutions/universities). The institute must be in a developing country other than the applicant's home country.
The fellowship is offered to carry out postgraduate research in the natural, engineering and information technology sciences. Each fellowship will be offered for up to three years and will cover the following:
- Travel expenses to and from the host institute;
- A monthly allowance to cover accommodation and meals while in the host country, the amount of which will be determined in consultation with the host institution;
- - Refund of visa costs;
- A contribution for medical insurance;
- Attending one international conference/training course during the period of the fellowship; and
- On a competitive basis, attending of scientific communication and proposal writing workshop.
An applicant who has already registered or who wishes to register as a PhD student at her home institute can choose a sandwich option, whereby part of the research programme is undertaken at a host institute in another developing country. In this case the fellowship provides support (travel, accommodation and living expenses) only while at the host institution. The minimum period abroad is six months. The fellowship does not provide support while the applicant is at the home institute. full-time
Alternatively, an applicant can enroll as a research student at an institution outside her country, in this case the fellowship will provide support (travel, accommodation and living expenses) for three years.
The host institution will be expected to provide the necessary facilities such as tuition, training, supervision, laboratory supplies etc.
Accompanying persons are not eligible for support.
Click here to download the application form.
Applications should be submitted by email only at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, refer to http://owsdw.ictp.it/activities/postgraduate-training-fellowships.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.