The Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB)
The Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) is a leading marine nonprofit organisation with a vision to conserve seabirds and other sea-life, especially threatened species such as the African penguin. As an organisation SANCCOB has experienced exceptional growth over the past five years in its core conservation activities of rehabilitation, oiled wildlife response, specialist veterinary service, research and education.
SANCCOB seeks to appoint a Bird Rehabilitator to join its small and passionate team, based in Cape St. Francis, Eastern Cape.
The successful candidate will be a team player that is physically fit, hardworking, able to work in all weather conditions and willing to work after-hours and frequently in excess of standard working hours. A love for seabirds and conservation, and a caring and compassionate nature will be essential. Experience in- and a passion for public speaking will be beneficial. The successful person should be comfortable living in a rural area, yet be able to travel at short notice.
- The daily husbandry of different types of seabirds of all ages admitted to the facility for rehabilitation and release;
- Fulfil a key supporting role to the Veterinary Nurse to ensure that all protocols and standards related to the rehabilitation activities at the facility are maintained at the highest level;
- Cleaning of bird enclosures, pools and the maintenance of daily records and stock control;
- In the event of an oil or chemical spill be able to travel and work under pressure;
- Training and supervising of local and international volunteers;
- Mentoring seabird interns and learnership participants;
- Assist team members with fundraising and administration, and awareness and marketing activities.
- A tertiary qualification in Biological Science, wildlife or conservation advantageous;
- Demonstrable experience working with birds or seabirds advantageous;
- Experience working according to standard operating procedures;
- Experience supervising small teams;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office package);
- Only open to South African ID holders.
To apply, submit a CV with at least two contactable references (maximum of three pages) and motivation letter to Juanita Raath at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 021 557 8804.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants selected for interviews.
For more about SANCCOB, refer to www.sanccob.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Secure your place in the 25th anniversary edition of the Prodder NGO Directory which will be released on 24 October 2012. Refer to www.prodder.org.za for more information.