Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC)
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC works in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
SALC seeks to appoint a LGBTI and Sex Worker Programme Lawyer, based in Johannesburg.
SALC’s LGBTI and Sex Worker Programme works to promote the rights of LGBTI persons and sex workers through working with lawyers and civil society organisations to support legal cases before domestic courts, training and facilitating legal networks throughout the region. The Programme Lawyer will be responsible for carrying out SALC’s legal work and related advocacy.
- Providing and monitoring monetary support to local lawyers and organisations for on-going legal cases;
- Developing relationships with local lawyers and non-governmental organisations;
- Developing and coordinating legal cases on LGBTI and sex worker rights issues;
- Conducting legal and factual research and drafting reports for advocacy purposes;
- Conducting advocacy, in conjunction with the Regional Advocacy Director, with respect to specific legal cases, including engaging in media advocacy;
- Organising and convening meetings, trainings and conferences on key issues and representing SALC at LGBTI and sex worker rights meetings and conferences.
- Degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are desirable;
- Proven interest and experience in human rights issues;
- Experience in litigating on human rights and criminal law matters;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to work comfortably in a variety of settings;
- Engage easily with fellow colleagues from the Southern Africa region;
- Experience in or familiarity with non-profit, non-governmental or intergovernmental organisations;
- Excellent knowledge of international and regional human rights laws and instruments;
- Knowledge and experience of working in the Southern Africa region;
- Excellent legal and factual research skills including online sources;
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel extensively.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to Pamela Timburwa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about The Southern Africa Litigation Centre, refer to www.southernafricalitigationcentre.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter athttp://twitter.com/SANGONeT.