South African National Zakah Fund (SANZAF)
The South African National Zakah Fund (SANZAF) is one of the leading faith-based, socio-welfare and educational organisations in Southern Africa that strives to facilitate the empowerment of needy families through the efficient collection and effective distribution of Zakáh and other Sadaqát in a proactive and cost effective way with dignity, sincerity and a shared responsibility.
Aligned with Sanzaf‘s mandate, the SEED portfolio houses the education and development projects. The projects fall into 5 categories viz: Tertiary, Islamic Studies, Mentoring Youth, Childhood Development and Skills Development. The SEED projects serve to alleviate poverty in a sustainable manner and is one of the fastest growing areas of activity within SANZAF.
SANZAF seeks to appoint a SEED (SANZAF Education, Empowerment, Development) Coordinator, based in the Western Cape.
Job level: Middle Management
The person will manage, coordinate and provide leadership to the SEED Programme and all its activities in the Western Cape Region. The successful candidate will report directly to the Western Cape General Manager who is accountable to the SANZAF Western Cape Regional Board. The successful candidate must be able to manage the current programme and improve on current processes within the SEED Programme; implement new ideas and improvements in order to ensure that SEED becomes a flagship programme within SANZAF Western Cape.
Key Performance Areas (KPI’s)
- To set key objectives in the form of a business/activity plan for the SEED programme in the Western Cape Region. To draft a comprehensive business/activity plan (long term) and short term (annually) that sets income targets; distribution targets; current and new programmes and fundraising initiatives in conjunction with and within the Western Cape region’s business plan;
- To continuously evaluate and provide benchmarking against industry metrics to measure the programme’s impact;
- To continuously review, recommend and implement improvements to the current programme’s overall plan and initiatives i.e. to provide and implement strategic input to the programme;
- To raise the profile of the SEED Programme with key stakeholders including current and potential Donors; Educational Institutions; Government entities and departments; other NGO’s; students; and communities;
- Raise the awareness of the SEED in the broader South African public with a view to managing funds for other donors or organizations;
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders, donors, Donor Agencies and funders to generate new and long term funding sources and build and foster strong long-term relationships with donors, sponsors and key stakeholders. This will be done in conjunction with the Income and Marketing Departments in SANZAF;
- To manage the staff within the SEED Programme via appropriate Human Resources (HR) management practices/frameworks. To work with other departments within SANZAF to achieve the objectives of SEED.
- Tertiary qualification (Bachelor’s Degree), preferably in Education and/or project management;
- Minimum of eight years experience in a corporate/government and/or NGO environment, of which at least five years has been spent in a Senior Management/Supervisory role;
- Good understanding of the education and skills development sectors;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Effective reporting skills;
- Excellent proposal writing and presentation skills;
- Skilled in marketing/promoting projects with Corporate; Government Stakeholders/Sponsors;
- Advanced computer and Microsoft Office skills;
- The ability to draft budgets and business plans/proposals for projects;
- Confident, assertive and highly professional;
- Highly responsible, organised and a good planner;
- The applicant must be deeply rooted in the Islamic faith belief system with a sound understanding of Zakaah.
The incumbent will display and exercise the following:
- Leadership skills – ability to delegate; champion change/innovation; communicate effectively; instill confidence; positive attitudes; ability to inspire/galvanize/motivate organization/staff around a common purpose;
- Excellent Organizational/Management skills – planning; resourcing; promotes team work; results driven; builds relationship within and outside of the organization;
- Problem solving skills; be able to think out the box and be solution driven;
- Excellent communication skills – presentation, written and oral; as well as public relations skills;
- Ability to think strategically and be innovative;
- People management skills – develops and inspire staff;
- Financial and Project Planning skills – being able to translate business plans into a budget (budgeting skills); tracking financial progress; understanding financial statements; the ability to conceptualize, plan, implement and track projects are essential for this position.
- Reporting Skills – the ability to devise and implement a benchmarking methodology to track the impact of the SEED Programme.
- Be responsible, reliable, trustworthy and accountable.
- Passionate about community development;
- Must be able to work under pressure and consistently meet deadlines.
To apply, submit a CV, certified copies of relevant qualifications and a motivational letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Your letter should cover the following areas
- Why do you think you are the best candidate for the post?
- What is your vision for the organisation
- How will you make a difference?
- Any other relevant comments
- Please do not exceed a maximum of three pages.
Applicants that do not meet with the criteria will not be considered. If you do not get a response from us within three weeks of submitting your CV, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the South African National Zakah Fund, refer to www.sanzaf.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.