Education Development Center (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organisation that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is seeking to hire 5 (five) Master Trainers to be recruited from and working in the following provinces: Western Cape; Gauteng; Free State; Mpumalanga and Kwa Zulu Natal.
The Master Trainer will be responsible, in collaboration with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and the Technical Director, for organising and conducting training of trainers (ToT) on Sexuality Education for schools in the educational districts where EDC will be operating. He/she will directly provide training to teachers and district education officials who will be implementing the Sexuality Education Activity in the districts and at school level. The Master Trainer will be part of a team of EDC staff, Educators and Education Officials rolling out high-quality Sexuality and HIV prevention training in schools.
It is anticipated that this position will combine training management and provincial coordination of some additional project activities in select provinces, as needed. This position reports to the DCOP/Technical Director.
The Master Trainer is expected to articulate clearly and courteously with officials at the Provincial and District Offices of the Department of Basic Education and USAID mission, and should be able to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, partners, co-workers, and funders. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
Design & Delivery
- Works with the EDC Technical Team to:
- Organise and implement a training plan on Sexuality Education for the educational district in which he/ she is working, including conducting ToTs at the district level.
- Design and implement a mentoring plan for the teachers who participate in the Sexuality Education training
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with provincial and district officials working in education and health; collaborate with EDC implementing and M&E partners at provincial and district levels
- Train district officials and others to serve as mentors to teachers as they implement Scripted Lessons Plan for Sexuality education and HIV prevention in their schools.
- Provide input on materials development to other EDC staff as needed, for example teachers manual development, supplemental materials and interactive audio or video materials (for training and/or instruction)
- Work with and train district officials to provide ongoing mentoring and coaching to teachers at school level on the use of Scripted Lesson Plans which address the Sexuality Education component of Life Orientation in the classroom.
Data collection and Analysis
- Records and reports on training and mentoring data.
- Participates in review and interpretation of data analysis for project learning and improvement.
- Participates in records maintenance activities (as required).
- Provide reports on activities, as required.
- Works with the EDC Technical Team to revise the training manual and plan, as required.
- Works closely and coordinates activities with other project staff working in the province, as well as Provincial and District Education Officials.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent with 2 – 3 years relevant experience
- Experience training teachers in sexuality and/or HIV prevention education; additional experience training health or other sector workers and/or training of communities in health and HIV prevention beneficial
- Knowledge of Sexuality Education
- Experience in HIV Prevention activities
- Experience with PEPFAR indicators and reporting systems desired
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and guide teachers
- Experience in developing a comprehensive training and mentoring plan desired
- Ability to perform challenging and complex work
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficiency in English required
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary, currency, and benefits will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa. This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to EDCSA@edc.org by May 8, 2015. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “SA Master Trainer” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.
43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please