Education Development Center (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organisation that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is seeking to hire 2 (Two) Consultants who will facilitate Trainer of Trainers Workshops on Sexuality Education in Gauteng and Western Cape Provinces.
The Consultant Facilitator will work with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and the Technical Director to conduct Teacher Training workshops on Sexuality Education for schools in some of the educational districts in Gauteng and Western Cape Provinces. He/she will be responsible for the training of a group of trainers – teachers and district education officers – in Sexuality Education which includes implementation of Scripted Lesson Plans by teachers.
The Consultant Facilitator will be hired for a total of 14 days and will report to the Technical Director.
Terms of Reference
Objectives of the Consultancy:
- To train a group of Life Orientation Educators and District Officials in Sexuality Education and Grade 7 – 9 Scripted Lesson Plans as part of the Sexuality Education Activity being implemented by Education Development Center
- To identify areas in the training that can be enhanced for a training cascade to teachers in schools.
- To identify and develop tools that can be used to monitor the training process in coordination with the M&E Advisor and EDC’s M&E implementing partner.
Scope of Work:
The Consultant Facilitator in coordination with EDC will be expected to do the following:
- Plan and prepare training materials for Educators and District Education Officers.
- Conduct two 5-day Trainer of Trainers workshops for Educators and District Education Officers.
- Prepare peer, self and facilitator assessment tools for each trainee.
- Prepare a final workshop evaluation, including recommendations on improvement of the training
- Write a final training report for each training including recommendations on how the training may be improved.
In addition to the mentioned tasks, the Consultant Facilitator will be expected to attend a two-day preparatory training with the EDC Technical Team. These two days are not paid.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent with 2 – 3 years relevant experience. A Master’s Degree will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in training on Sexuality Education
- Experience in HIV Prevention activities with adolescents and/or training of teachers
- Ability to perform challenging and complex work
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Ability to develop a comprehensive training and mentoring plan
- Ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Proficiency in English required
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
- Accreditation as a Facilitator or an Assessor will be an added advantage.
Application and contact details:
Consultants will be paid according to number of days worked as per agreed upon rates. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa.
Interested individuals who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to EDCSA@edc.org by May 8, 2015. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “SA Consultant Facilitator” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please