The Uhambo Foundation
The Uhambo Foundation is a nonprofit/PBO that focuses on improving the lives of children with mobility disabilities through the provision of mobility devices, clinical support, capacity building and the delivery of programmes including Early Childhood Development, Parent and Caregiver Training and other support initiatives.
The Uhambo Foundation is in partnership with Shonaquip (www.shonaquip.co.za), a leading peadiatric wheelchair manufacturer in South Africa to form a ground breaking social enterprise model. The Social Enterprise, with a hybrid structure, works to ensure sustainable transformational change in the disability and human rights sector. Business principles are used to create and maintain social value, while financial sustainability is secured by re-investing revenue back into both the organisations to ensure higher social impact.
The Uhambo Foundation seeks to appoint Board Members to help drive the not for profit arm of this new business model.
Scope of work:
Governance in terms of ensuring adequate controls will include but not be limited to the following:
- Disability and Human rights sector experience;
- Enhance, promote and preserve the culture of the Uhambo Foundation;
- Advocate and lobby on our behalf;
- Advise on issues regarding professional and industry related matters;
- Ensure monitoring, evaluation and impact reporting is relevant to end users.
Financial and HR skills
- Assist with annual budgets, audits and internal control systems;
- Review performance and scrutinize major capital expenditures;
- Oversee the accuracy of financial statements and reports;
- Oversee employment policy and procedures.
Marketing and public relations
- Oversee the fundraising and marketing strategy;
- Actively engage in resource provision and fund raising activities;
- Promotion / access to social media;
- Accessing opportunities to advocacy and lobbying platforms ;
- Facilitating expansion opportunities through leveraging our BBBEE and ED status.
- Examination of agreements;
- Ensure compliance with agreed structures and laws and deal with breaches;
- Contribute and comment on policy to uphold the rights of people with disability in line with global human rights.
- Three board members with strong personal alignment to the social and financial objectives of a Social Enterprise are required;
- Persons with experience in financial management, legal, enterprise development and internal audit are required and will be given preference;
- Preference will be given to persons with disabilities.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Jolene Wium, Chairperson of the Board, The Uhambo Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enquiries: Tel: + 27 021 7978239, Mobile: + 27 72 249 1234.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.