1. Purpose Statement
SAB Foundation is an independent Trust founded in 2010 as one of three beneficiaries of the South African Breweries broad-based black economic empowerment transaction. The mandate of the Foundation as per the Trust Deed is “to contribute to the economic and social empowerment of historically disadvantaged communities through Community Development by means of Entrepreneurship Development with a priority focus on benefitting women and youth in rural areas as well as persons with disabilities”.
This has translated into three exciting programme areas.
- Social Innovation Programme - supports innovation that will improve the quality of life for our beneficiary groups.
- Rural Catalyst Programme – seeks strategic opportunities to build and empower entrepreneurs in rural areas with an emphasis on farming, tourism and Last Mile Distribution
- Tholoana Programme – selects 60 entrepreneurs a year in targeted geographic areas and supports them with 2 years of business development support (with assistance from a service provider) and seed funding.
The purpose of this role is:
- To ensure that social innovation becomes synonymous with SAB Foundation in South Africa
- To ensure that SAB Foundation becomes a leader in delivering maximum impact in this emerging field
- To form a community of practice in social innovation
- To ensure that innovators are unearthed and receive a continuum of support.
- To manage social innovation programmes
- To liaise with multiple stakeholders and provide strategic direction to SAB’s approach to social innovation
2. Key Outputs and Accountabilities
Oversight of SAB Foundations Social Innovation Programme which includes:
- Research and development of SAB Foundations approach to Social Innovation
- Organising and Managing the Social Innovation Awards
- Overseeing a robust business and technical support programme with selected service provider
- Monitoring progress of current and previous Social Innovation Award winners
- Managing the Student Social Innovation Pilot
- Liaising with Universities to source opportunities for partnership in developing social innovators
- Establishing and implementing a means of awarding and supporting top social innovators across campuses
- Establishing a continuum of support for promising innovators on campuses
- Establishing a community of practice
- Multi Stakeholder mapping and engagement to ensure a continuum of development and support for social innovators
- At least an undergraduate degree
- Masters Degree preferable
- At least 3 years work experience in a related field
- Demonstrated understanding of social enterprise and social innovation
4. Key Attributes
- Deep passion for innovation, entrepreneurship and social change
- High energy levels with a bias for action
- An understanding of business
- Numerate and literate
- Ability to engage enthusiastically and professionally with multiple stakeholders
- Exceptional analytical thinking ability
- Innovative, conceptual problem solver
- Dynamic, open minded and flexible
- Ability to analyse business performance data
- Strong verbal ability and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, creativity and ability to mix with other people.
- Ability to work in teams
- Resilient, with strong leadership abilities
- Proven track record of high performance
- Strong project management skills
- A willingness to travel
- A thirst for knowledge and a willingness to learn
The advert has minimum requirements listed. Management reserves the right to use additional / relevant information as criteria for short-listing. Please be advised that short-listed candidates will be required to undergo psychological assessments.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the above vacancy within the SAB Foundation. The successful applicant is expected to start as soon as possible. This position is equity bonded and is based in Sandton.
Interested applicants, who meet the above employee specifications, should please submit a covering letter and cv, no later than 30 April 2015 to:
SAB Foundation Programme Coordinator