Gender DynamiX (GDX) is a Human Rights organisation focusing our advocacy on transgender, transsexual and gender non-conforming people’s rights and access to services. Gender DynamiX provides information about transgender, transsexual and gender non-confirming identities and seeks to promote awareness and acceptance by means of educating and empowering people from diverse communities, including: government departments, service providers such as medical professionals, teachers, employers, police, journalists and universities. Gender DynamiX also reach out to parents, children, co-workers and people who journey alongside transexual people.
Gender DynamiX seeks to appoint an Advocacy Officer, based in Cape Town.
The incumbent will be responsible for awareness raising of the rights of trans* and gender non-conforming people. This work involves creating visibility of transgender struggles and form networks and partnerships with mainstream civil society organisations. The incumbent will be based at our offices but will be required to travel within the country about 30% of the time.
- Working closely with our projects team;
- Networking the organisation with stakeholders;
- Input on the development of educational initiatives;
- Working closely with media;
- Engaging policy makers and service providers on transgender issues;
- Work with the GDX team on putting together publications, meetings and conference presentations;
- Raising awareness about transgender issues in South Africa;
- Conceptualising new projects in line with the organisational strategic plan;
- Input on resources mobilisation for our advocacy project;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the projects.
- Degree in social sciences;
- Analytical, creative, strategic and problem-solving skills;
- Good communications, interpersonal and networking skills, including the ability to work with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national level;
- Pro-active and self-motivated with the ability to work very well within a team environment;
- Good time management skills, including the ability to work towards deadlines;
- Computer literacy, including electronic networking skills;
- Report-writing skills;
- Some experience in facilitation and presentation;
- Willingness and ability to travel and work outside official working hours;
- Proven track record of achieving results which includes management of projects, partners and resources.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter including the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your motivation for applying for this position
- Your motivation should include an explanation of your understanding of gender identity and trans* issues.
- Examples of previous advocacy work experience.
- Three contactable references.
- An indication of your availability date
- Gender DynamiX is an equal opportunities employer. A salary in accordance with qualification and experience will be offered.
No need at this stage to email scanned ID copies, Drivers licence, Metric Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees or any other academic documents.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Gender DynamiX reserves the right not to make an appointment. Should you not have received a response within two weeks of the closing date, consider that your application was unsuccessful.
For more about Gender DynamiX, refer to www.genderdynamix.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.