The Outreach Foundation is a faith- based organization that offers support and development to people living in the inner city of Johannesburg -and beyond. Through skills development and Arts enrichment programmes, the foundation seeks to inspire creative journeys for all looking to achieve their full potential.
The Hillbrow Youth Centre provides specialised youth development, care and recreational services to Hillbrow youth in the age group between 14 and 25 years. The centre is a subsidiary project of the Outreach Foundation, an inner city community enrichment programme that supports people in achieving their full potential through creative and artistic activities and education.
The aims of the Youth Centre are as follows:
- To provide structured developmental and recreational programmes in the form of workshops, games, entertainment, skills training and youth services;
- To create a practical structure of care where youth will be provided with emotional care in a safe environment and in a spirit of cooperation and support, personal growth, and shared responsibility;
- In partnership with other youth organisations and communities in Hillbrow, to create a broader youth support network and community of mutual care and support.
The Outreach Foundation seeks to appoint a Youth Worker, based at its Hillbrow Youth Centre, Johannesburg.
- Develop, implement and manage innovative youth development programmes that reflect Outreach Foundation’s principles of nonpartisan, nondiscriminatory, and unprejudiced acceptance of all people, irrespective of religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or cultural association in the spirit of charishing and learning through diversity;
- Take responsibility for the development of all programmatic activities and the effective organising and implementation of all workplans;
- Take responsibility for the effective management of the Hillbrow Youth Centre, its staff, and key duties as assigned;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of regular Christian fellowship meetings;
- Serve as the coordinator of the kids week event which takes place three times a year during school holidays;
- Develop and implement innovative, practical and youth relevant leadership strategies in order to enhance value driven based youth leadership in Hillbrow;
- Offer youth counselling and career counselling.
- Undergraduate social work qualification, and registered as Social Worker;
- Minimum of five years practical work experience with young people, especially in an urban environment;
- Ability to provide guidance in a rapidly transforming environment, and to manage the process of change especially regarding youth related issues;
- Ability to work as part of a team in an organisation which upholds principles of non-partisanship,non-discrimination, and unprejudiced acceptance of all people, irrespective of religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or cultural association;
- Proven leadership and conflict management skills;
- Ability to facilitate workshops, make presentations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to simultaneously address multiple demands in a high-pressure environment;
- Basic computer competency.
- Enhanced language skills in a language other than English;
- Record of taking initiative;
- Experience in environments of diversity.
Starting date: 1 May 2015.
Salary: Depending upon experience and skills.
To apply, submit a CV and full contact details of three referees to the Executive Director of the Outreach Foundation at email@example.com or post to PO Box 17098, Hillbrow 2038. A cover letter.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not be contacted within six weeks following closing date of applications, consider your application was unsuccessful.
For more about the Outreach Foundation, refer to www.outreachfoundation.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.