Pedal Power Association (PPA)
CEO Vacancy in Cape Town
The Pedal Power Association is a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) whose mission is to promote cycling in all its forms, increase cycling safety, improve cycling conditions and provide a voice for the needs of and suggestions regarding cycling in South Africa. PPA has recently reviewed its strategic direction and wishes, whilst continuing its current initiatives, to expand its presence in terms of its geographic representation and its sphere of influence.
PPA is seeking an outstanding individual with an appropriate balance of strategic thinking, marketing/fundraising and people skills to lead its transition in becoming a nationally representative organisation for cycling in all its forms by taking innovative steps to ensure improved cycling infrastructure and rider safety and advocating for these issues at local, provincial and national levels. Based in Cape Town, the CEO will have a proven track record relative to the appointment and a keen interest in cycling as a mode of transport. Reporting to the Executive Committee through the Management Committee (ManCom), the CEO and will have full responsibility and accountability for the management of all PPA operations, including ensuring financial sustainability, compliance with generally accepted principles of administrative, commercial and accounting practices, talent management of the team, delivery of projects and programmes, development of campaigns, and management of stakeholder relations and partnerships. The CEO will manage 13 staff members.
Key Performance Areas
- Develop and implement strategic plans to realise the vision and mission of PPA;
- Grow the membership base to be nationally and demographically representative;
- Direct and oversee PPA’s advocacy work, stakeholder engagement and external relations;
- Influence change in appropriate policies, legislation, guidelines and plans at both local and national level;
- Ensure compliance with all applicable legislation;
- Ensure financial viability and sustainability of PPA and maintain proper financial management systems and reporting;
- Raise funds for PPA, reporting on and managing funder relations;
- HR and performance management of staff, including recruitment and training, as the organisation shifts to meet its broad mandate;
- Build and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders and partners, including partnering with/supporting other organisations aligned with PPA’s strategic vision;
- Build the profile and brand of PPA through appropriate communications and media campaigns; and
- Develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation criteria.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- An everyday cyclist;
- Appropriate tertiary qualification and financial and/or transport/urban planning background;
- At least 10 years’ relevant experience as a senior manager or executive director, including change management;
- Solid understanding of cycling’s role in enabling sustainable transport and supporting sustainable development coupled with an approach that motivates for positive change;
- Strong strategic planning, research and analytical skills;
- An understanding of the fundamentals of strategic communication;
- Experience and skills in HR management, budgeting and financial management;
- Experience and high level skills in fundraising and donor engagement;
- Willingness to engage with and learn from the experience of others, and to support and amplify the work of partner organisations;
- A strong commitment to collaboration and support for the social and environmental justice sector, with the overall aim of improving cycling’s role in reducing inequality and promoting human rights;
- Substantial and demonstrated networking capabilities, including building partnerships with community and civil society organisations, corporates and government;
- Public speaking skills, and experience in dealing with the media; and
- A commitment to diversity, inclusion and transformation.
- Previous experience in the establishment of a non-profit organisation;
- Certification / registration with relevant professional body(ies) such as The Transport Planning Society (TPS), the South African Council for Planners (SACPLAN), the South African Institute of Civil Engineers (SAICE), the Institute of Directors in South Africa (IoDSA)
- Specialist skills in marketing or communications;
- PBO/NPO or NGO background and sector experience;
Interested candidates must send a detailed CV, letter of motivation highlighting your suitability to the role and contact details of three work-related referees to MaraisButton & Associates by no later than 31 July.
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.