Save The Children
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Regional Programing Unit(RPU), Migration & Displacement
TYPE OF CONTRACT: National
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to
have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Migration and Displacement (M&D) pillar within the Regional Programming Unit (RPU)
leverages regional experience and strategic partnerships to influence policy, identify integrated
approaches, generate knowledge and cross learning, pilot transnational solutions to issues affecting
migrant children across thematic areas, and catalyse sustainable change at scale for children
affected by migration and displacement across the East and Southern Africa Region (ESAR).
As part of the Migration & Displacement pillar which constitutes of nine projects, the program
assistant will be responsible for the program support and efficient running of the unit through the
leadership of the Regional Migration & Displacement Manager.
The initial contract will run for 12 months
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Regional Migration & Displacement Manager
Dimensions: Program support to the Migration & Displacement pillar of the Regional Programing Unit
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Program Management Support
Financial / Administrative
- Coordinate all procurement within the pillar by ensuring an updated procurement tracker is in place and consistent follow up carried out.
- Ensure timely submission of accurate cash forecasts to the finance team.
- Support budget holders to review budget expenditure against actuals and provide monthly updates and follow up recharges/ reclassifications.
- Ensure follow up of financial documents including contracts, expense reports, invoices, etc to facilitate payment.
- Support budget holders to draft their activity budgets, budget monitoring, and progress reports with direction from manager.
- Support the M&D manager on drafting budgets for new business development.
- Facilitate partner disbursements with support from program staff and finance.
- Support the migration manager with key administrative tasks as requested.
- Ensure annual team calendar is updated with main program activities and support to ensure integration and synergy where necessary.
- Support team in achievement of KPIs by supporting program planning, expenditure tracking and follow up of cost postings.
- Through the program staff support the social media presence of the M&D program
- Maintain and updates data base and mailing lists for the M&D program of key actors in the field, which include donors and the media.
- Maintain programmatic, financial and administrative documentations on the shared drive.
- Organizes regular team meetings and conference calls/video-conferences, often over different time zones, including the preparation and distribution of documents
- Carry out a rapporteur role at key events which include the M& D planning meetings
- Assists in the orientation of new staff, interns, research partners and consultants by providing them with the necessary documents and materials for orientation; and
- Works with programme team to coordinate work activities, meet deadlines, and provide support where needed;
- Attend meetings upon request.
- Supports in the development of program donor and activity reports with respect to technical formats and deadlines.
- Ensure detailed planners are put in place for each event with checklists developed
- Liaise with key stakeholders for the unit and ensure payments are made on time
- Support the travel for all colleagues and partners travelling for M& D business to the Pretoria office
- Develop and follow up with invitations for events
- Coordinates registration process and acts as contact person for the participants.
- Prepares training kits or information packages and sends material to participants in a timely manner; and
- Coordinates and disseminates all internal and external material, including publicity and background documents for events; coordinates appropriate mailings or distribution.
- Reconciles workshop and events expenditures and submits them for authorization and payment.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Migration, Social Sciences or related field
- Program and budget management experience
- High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proven ability to handle challenging environments and work load
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Have attention to detail & value results they produce
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org (plese put position applied for in the subject line)