Amnesty International South Africa
MEMBERSHIP AND GROWTH OFFICER
- To develop and implement the Membership & Growth strategy;
- To recruit, retain and engage members to support AISA’s programme strategies;
- To develop AISA’s financial sustainability plans and strategies and implement activities to generate funds for AISA;
- To manage and coordinate activities of members, and
- To support and liaise with Amnesty International (AI) movement and outside networks to ensure maximum impact of AISA programmes and specific projects
- To recruit, retain and drive membership to support AISA’s local campaigns which are aligned to global campaigns;
- To coordinate and deliver membership’s support to AISA’s campaign work in South Africa;
- To increase campaign effectiveness across the International Secretariat and the Amnesty International movement through membership support and drive.
AIIS AND AISA’S PURPOSE:
The International Secretariat, which operates from a number of sites around the world including South Africa, gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally. We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards. We provide strategic leadership, support and advice to the Amnesty International movement globally, fostering Amnesty International’s contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
- Reporting to: Executive Director
- Posts that this job manages:
Initially there will be no line management responsibility, but there is the possibility of managing an Assistant. This role could from time require management of temporary staff and volunteers
Location: South African Office, Rosebank - Johannesburg
- Review and implement the Membership and Growth Strategy
- Develop recruitment, engagement and retention strategies for members in order to support growth and member participation in programmes
- Support member involvement in organisational campaigns, capacity building; human rights education and other work
- Engage members, supporters and partners for global solidarity campaigns
- Contribute towards AISA’s financial sustainability plans and strategies and implement activities to generate funds for AISA
- Support and liaise with Amnesty International movement and outside networks
- Coordinate member activities throughout the country
- Review and manage the current membership data base system
- Lead the production of monthly Newsletter and other regular communication to members, supporters and partners
- Use of innovative digital campaigns methods
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years’ proven experience in recruiting and mobilising members, campaigning, media work and/or union organising
- Proven track record of developing and implementing successful campaigns. Digital campaigns is an added advantage
- Experience in using various media platforms for public education, campaigns and related human rights work
- Experience in website management/updates – an added advantage
- Strong commitment to human rights values, standards and norms
- A confident public speaker with ability to motivate people for collective campaigning and advocacy in defense of human rights
- Ability to mobilise across diverse groups and social standing
- Knowledge of local South African language(s) - a must
- Understanding of policy making processes, advocacy and campaigning and how to engage members, supporters and partners in support of AISA’s work
- A Bachelors’ degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Management, Social Sciences or related field
To apply for these position please email a Covering Letter explaining why you qualify for this position and your CV (no qualifications at this stage) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line clearly indicating the position you are applying for.
Closing date: 19 February 2016
Amnesty International South Africa reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please note that this is a re-advertisement and those who had previously applied need not re-apply.
Communication will be entered into with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard back from us by 29 February 2016, kindly accept that your application was not successful.