The Message Trust South Africa
MESSAGE BOOKKEEPER/ADMIN ASSISTANT
Placement: Cape Town, South Africa
Hours: 20 hours (9am – 1pm)
Salary: (B3) R7 000.00pm
Start Date: 1st March 2016
Responsible to: Admin and Fundraising Manager & Message Accountants
Summary of position required:
To provide financial and general administrative support for The Message Trust’s growing team.
You are diligent, hardworking, trustworthy and able to function in a team environment. You are familiar with Pastel/Sage accounting software and able to organize and execute tasks in a timely manner. You are able to develop efficient systems that will improve our financial department and provide adequate financial reports for both our accountants and Directors.
Main duties and responsibilities: General Bookeeping
- Capture all cashbooks in pastel
- Capture and record all expense claims
- Maintain and update accounting records by performing duties such as recording and posting transactions in journals for account payables, account receivables and payroll
- Perform all banking duties as required
- Purchase supplies and assets as authorized by management
- Monitor office supply levels and reorder as necessary
- Tag and monitor fixed assets
- Pay supplier invoices in a timely manner
- Pay any debt as it comes due for payment
- Issue invoices to customers
- Maintain the petty cash fund
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system including all internal and external
- Transfers and payments
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain the annual budget
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Prepare spreadsheets to convert US and UK funds into rand before capturingonto system
- Assign transactions into relevant projects.
- Capture and reconcile all US bank accounts.
- Capture and record all US and UK transfers, income and expense accounts.
- To manage and oversee office stock and ordering
- Data capturing on Mailchimp and Raiser’s Edge
- Prepare agenda and take notes for staff meetings
- Update Message calendar with key events
- To attend monthly Message Trust prayer days.
- To attend weekly devotions on Tuesday’s mornings.
- Be a member of the Message evangelism mentorship group.
- Provide a monthly report form to Admin/Fundraising Manager & CEO on the 1st of each month for the previous month activities.
Any information relating to people contacted by the Trust acquired in the course of duty must be treated in strictest confidence and must be discussed only within the confines of the work setting with the appropriate members of staff.
Any information relating to staff acquired in the course of duty must be treated in the strictest confidence and must be discussed only with senior staff members or with the line manager.
- Full driver license holder
- The post holder must be a committed Christian who believes in the Lordship of Christ and the authority of scripture, and who wants to see the Christian message communicated effectively to young people. Applicants should have a personal testimony of their Christian faith, and be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message. The doctrinal basis of The Message is that of the Evangelical Alliance
- In addition to the above, applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role and be willing to enter fully into Message community life
- Have a proven capacity to be an active member of a team
- Able to communicate effectively within a team context
- Able to handle confidential information appropriately
- Able to take constructive criticism
- Adaptability / Flexibility
- Respect for authority
- Absolute discretion with members of the opposite sex
- Able to show evidence of possessing the following skills
- Ability to follow and carry out set tasks/assignments,
- Maintain/continue established working practice
- Ability to initiate within pre-set parameters
- Ability to relate to groups of differing ability, age and culture. - Able to adapt quickly and take responsibility when required to
- Over five years experience in bookkeeping.
- Proven track record of the role required.
- Identification with the Trust’s Statement of Values and Ethos.
- Commitment to Child Protection, Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety.
- Personal integrity and commitment to working as part of a team.
- Applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message, particularly with reference to their ability to function within the framework of its Mission, Vision, Ethos and Values.
Full copies of our Mission and Vision statement and our Ethos and Values statement are available on request or can be viewed online at www.message.org.uk.
Please send your CV and a one page motivational letter to email@example.com by the 4 March 2016.
This job description is for 1-year fixed-term contract and has a 3-month probation period. And extension or longer-term employment opportunities within this position or other positions in the Message will be reviewed at the end of the contract.
This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future changes. It will be reviewed periodically.
The successful candidate will be required to have a Police Check Clearance.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT www.message.org.za.